A Trip to Mr. Jacks Place

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
A Trip to Mr. Jack's Place

Friday I had the pleasure of being the "host" on one of 4 buses of visiting Shriners to take a tour of the Jack Daniels Distillery in Lynchburg, Tennessee. BTW, if you weren't aware, Lynchburg is in a "dry" County!

We started our tour at the Rick House where the make the charcoal from Maple to mellow the whiskey. You can see the ricks of maple in the second picture before they burn it into charcoal:

01 Charcoal House 01.JPG

02 Charcoal House 02.JPG

A bit down the hill we viewed a bit of nostalgia as we passed the original Fire House:

03 Old Fire House.JPG

Then we got to view the famous "spring" that provides the water filtered through natural limestone to give Jack that great taste. BTW...I haven't had a sip of Jack, or anything else since 1990. The second pic shows a lifesize statue of Mr. Jack in front of his sprong:

04 The Spring.JPG

05 Jack Daniels and the Spring.JPG

Here's a pic of the fermenting tanks:

07 The fermentors.JPG

And now the filtering of the whiskey through the charcoal. The tour guide "fanned" the lid on this vat be shaking the lid so that we all got a whiff of 140 proof whiskey passing through. I gad to stay to make sure the other groups all made it safely past this stop. ::)

11 Charcoal mellowing.JPG

Here's the room where they bottle single barrels. Single Barrel Jack Daniels is a single barrell chosen by the tasters and then approved by the Master Distiller to be bottled based on it's taste and superior quality. If you'd wish to purchase a barrel, they'll select one for you, bottle it all for you in distinct labels and it'll only cost you between $7000 and $12,000.

12 Single Barrel bottling.JPG

After the tour we went into the Welcome Center where you could buy Commemorative Bottles and have a glass of lemonade (regular lemonade!). While there, I managed to get a pic of someone who kinda favored me:

16 Me.JPG

After the tour they took our group to a piece of their property just beyond the county line to serve up some Jack Daniels and some of the absolutely best barbecue you'll ever put in your mouth! The first pic is of the shelter where they took us, the second is sunset over Moore County with one of 76 barrel houses they have there, and the third is part of the group sippin' Jack and enjoying the susnset:

19 The BBQ Shelter.JPG

17 A Barrel House at Sunset.JPG

18 Sippin\' Jack and watchin the sun set.JPG

Needless to say, it was an interesting and fun day for all!

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: A Trip to Mr. Jack's Place

thanks for the tour Wes :thumbsup:

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice pics.!

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania

Thanks for the tour.
My husbands cousin works or worked at a place that made whisky. He's from Louisville Ky, not sure if this would the place or not! He used to bring us up J.D. and Wild Turkey when he came up for hunting season. After a few visits we had a nice collection started and no place to put it :o :tongue3: , we couldnt drink it fast enough so he stopped bringing it. (were not big drinkers here.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread