deer antler shed pile

dirt diva

Jul 4, 2008
ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
CZ 7 pro quick silver CZ 70 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is one of my shed piles.It's alot of fun in the spring to go shed hunting.Take the children
out to find sheds.It's like a big Easter egg hunt.They will love it.Don't have land?Most farmers
will let you walk their fields,because they run over them with the tractors and get flat tires.You can make all sorts of stuff with them,coat racks, key holder racks,lamps,book ends, ect.......or use as yard decorations. :icon_jokercolor:

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had not thought about asking farmers about that might take the grandkids and try that this spring ... very cool thanks for sharing!

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
That is an impressive shed pile! My kids used to always drag them home but at the time I was working so much I rarely had time to do anything with them....guess I should have seen this pic earlier and taught them how to pile them nicely so I didn't just have them scattered everywhere! lol

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The best thing about picking these up is you know he made it through the season and is "Available" for the next :thumbsup: I'm alway's looking for them for both reason's,here's a piece in the work's right now.The main beam and G3's make excellent Dolphin's after you carve them up a little.Very Cool pic DD.....I see some potential 160's in the stack too ;D HHx2!!!

Attachments

• PB140002.JPG
    PB140002.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 777
OP
OP
dirt diva

dirt diva

Jul 4, 2008
ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
civilman1 said:
The best thing about picking these up is you know he made it through the season and is "Available" for the next :thumbsup: I'm always looking for them for both reason's,here's a piece in the work's right now.The main beam and G3's make excellent Dolphin's after you carve them up a little.Very Cool pic DD.....I see some potential 160's in the stack too ;D HHx2!!!

True True,
I have some sets from the same deer,three years in a row.There are a few 160's in there.I
love the carving work.Seems like very tedious work.Show us a pic. when finished :thumbsup:

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
Thats a giant pile. I have picked up a few decent ones out West but never seen anywhere that many.

Thats a lot of knife handles and pen holders.

OP
OP
dirt diva

dirt diva

Jul 4, 2008
ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Burnt Chimney said:
I didnt know South Shackalacka had that many deer.

YEP!!!! All these shacks hide all the treasures in the woods :thumbsup:

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great pile :thumbsup: :thumbsup: How do you know some are from the same deer?

OP
OP
dirt diva

dirt diva

Jul 4, 2008
ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
extractor said:
Great pile :thumbsup: :thumbsup: How do you know some are from the same deer?
I Will try to explain in a short version.Most adult bucks have a set area that they dominate,and will stay in that
area as long as there is plenty of food sources,except during the rut.They may live in a five mile radius all their lives.So when they drop their antlers,they are usually in that area.You can usually find both sides pretty close in that area.As they usually drop both sides within a 24 hour period.We also use alot of trial cameras,and video every hunt and every buck we see.I hunted a 108 times last season.and videoed every hunt.So when you find the antlers you can go back and id and match to buck.Unless there was a major injury in the velvet stage,that causes a deformed antler,they pretty much just add size or a point or two,until they get old and they will start dropping in size,this applies for wild deer,not fence or genetically altered deer.Pretty intresting.If you are into deer. :icon_study:

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!! Now that is a very impressive pile of sheds!!! :thumbsup: How many years of collecting did it take to get that many? From the size of some of those sheds it looks like there are some pretty impressive bucks around your area as well!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
dirt diva

dirt diva

Jul 4, 2008
ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mainedigger said:
WOW!!! Now that is a very impressive pile of sheds!!! :thumbsup: How many years of collecting did it take to get that many? From the size of some of those sheds it looks like there are some pretty impressive bucks around your area as well!! :thumbsup:
These were probably around six years of collecting.Have giving away alot of the other ones. :icon_sunny:
The really big ones, I use to display in our deer room.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the answer to my question.You gave us a great wildlife answer. :thumbsup: I bet a lot more Deer questions will be going your way in the future, from other Tnet members.
Extractor

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's another one for ya ........Some Dolphin's I made for my Mom on Mother's Day....

Attachments

• PB190001.JPG
    PB190001.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 606

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mental granny said:
they are beautiful!!

I'll second that!!!! :thumbsup: Absolutely incredible work!!!!...you have talent and it shines thru in that piece!!!! :thumbsup: :icon_thumright: :icon_salut:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread