Im a simi-finalist :) ( It just keeps getting better )

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I'm a simi-finalist :) ( Update: Below )

mental granny said:
Leon I am so glad you found out it was a scam before you lost $ on it. It is a beautiful pic maybe put your own album togeather and see about intrest from legit publishers doing it!

But also go to a book store and have them look it up and you order thru them.

Also you might try local library if they have past copies or a currant sometimes they will order one and you can look at it if your pic is in it then try the bookstore to order your own. A library will normaly do this if they have a local intrest in this type of book.

Then of course there is always ebay ir craigs list.

No you will not find the book anywhere except from them.

Send them a nice note and tell them you appreciate being in the book but would never think of paying to see your own work in print. Tell them an author always receives free copies of their work.

OP
OP
Leon

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Re: I'm a simi-finalist :) ( It just keeps getting better )

Thank you mental granny & Kas for your comments,,,
This just keeps getting better. Here are some more details about all of this and about that great site "Picture.com"...

Several weeks ago before learning, *( In my opinion ), of just how big of a scam this actually is, my brother sent in a photo that he had taken. It's just an ordinary photo, a snap shot that you might stick into your scrapbook, and guess what? They sent him the same exact email informing him that his photo has been advanced into the semifinals... His photo is now going to be placed in the same ( Fantastic book as mine. )

What a big crock of crap,,, I definitely don't won't to purchase a book that,
"will be a classic, coffee-table quality hardbound volume that is printed on fine-milled paper specifically selected to faithfully reproduce the unique texture and character of your photograph.
has photos like the one my brother sent in. If I want to look at a book like that I'll pull out my mothers old scrapbooks full of Polaroids...

They also sent me a new email today, ( Same as the one shown above ), informing me of the same crap and wanting me to purchase the book again...

I entered my photo in their daily contest, strictly for fun,and to possibly win me a new camera or maybe get a few extra bucks for the holidays, but the fun has turn to anger... Having a site where people can order coffee mugs, calenders, etc... , from the photos they have taken is one thing, but to try and get people to buy a book described as such and then find out it's full of everyday, ordinary shots, is simply a bunch of crap. I can't believe sites like this are allowed to operate...

Does anyone know who you would contact to file an official complaint concerning the site?..
Be careful out there guys, be wise, and have a great day, Leon...

P.S.> the "*" shown above is to represent what I threw in for legal reasons...

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

Leon,

There are a # of legitimate photo contests out there. Kodak has one and so does Canon. Years ago, I sent in several photos and wound up with an honorable mention photo and received a wooden plaque so indicating along with 3 Canon pins (same # as the photos).
They have different rules for picture eligibility but check them out. Don't get discouraged. And please---keep sharing your pics with us. :thumbsup:

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There is a book publisher who operates the same way. Publishamerica. they will take anything written from anyone. They don't charge you a penny and you get two free books. That's where the fun begins. Your book will not be in bookstores. You'll end up buying books to sell to people who want them. So, when you buy the books you paid to publish. They just get their money on the backend, when you buy books. A group of authors, 20 or so of us, myself included, wrote a horrible book that didn't make any sense. Titled the Crack of Death, we sent it to PublishAmerica and they accepted it to publish. Actually, we did it twice and they took the next one, too.

Scams abound, check them all before getting involved. Glad we caught you in time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread