Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had some time after dropping my wife off to get her hair cut and colored, so I drove around looking for a good access point to a local river just as a "scouting trip" to see where I might be able to look for arrowheads next year.

Along the way, I came across 2 less than typical treasures that I brought home. The first one is a really nice piece of driftwood that will look wonderful next to the little pond out front next year - it's about 3'x3' and has great features.

The other thing I found was a hornet's nest up in a tree - had to climb up a bit to reach it and then use my finger nail clippers (all I had with me at the time) to cut the branch and ivy that it had been formed around. It's not in the best condition as it's peeling in a couple spots, but if I can keep it dry I think it'll last for awhile and make for a neat conversation piece.

I guess it's true that treasures are in the eyes of the beholder :)

Attachments

• P1010643 (2).JPG
    P1010643 (2).JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 314
  • P1010645 (2).JPG
    P1010645 (2).JPG
    143 KB · Views: 316

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
Both are very cool finds, I really like the driftwood piece. :thumbsup:

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
mcgearhead said:
I love em both ! I really like the driftwood, I have a piece that I swam a really long way to the bottom of a water fall to get.

That makes for a good story, each piece has a built in conversation.

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
Those are cool :)
I've found a few cool birds nests that wind up on my Christmas tree each year.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
That is a beautiful piece of driftwood for sure! not so sure I like the idea of a bees nest around my place even if it is empty. lol Cool finds though!

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cubfan64 said:
I guess it's true that treasures are in the eyes of the beholder :)

They truly are...have em both in my home. The 2 hornet's nests are preserved...on yours leave the sticks and let dry completely and spray with hair spray. One on the left side is over 40 yrs old, the other is about 18.

:wink: RR

hornet\'s nests (2).jpg

Attachments

• hornet\'s nests (2).jpg
    hornet\'s nests (2).jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 270

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have a lot in common, I am always bringing in strange knots, driftwood , hornets nest's,( I have a new one located)
That i may retrieve later.

Fossis...............

OP
OP
Cubfan64

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hehe thanks for the nice comments everyone - it's nice to know I'm not the only one who sees "treasures" in odd things now and then :)

I'll take your advice River Rat and let them dry out and then use hairspray to try to keep it lasting as long as I can. I don't know how the wife would feel about hanging it somewhere in the house, but if I can't convince her of that I'll find a nice spot in my workshop.

P

pippinwhitepaws

"it's nice to know I'm not the only one who sees "treasures" in odd things now and then"

lol cubfan...i am trying to get someone to help drag the remains of an old '37 desoto over to the house...i want to put solar powered headlamps and tail lights in it so it sits there at night an glows. :tongue3:

OP
OP
Cubfan64

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pippinwhitepaws said:
"it's nice to know I'm not the only one who sees "treasures" in odd things now and then"

lol cubfan...i am trying to get someone to help drag the remains of an old '37 desoto over to the house...i want to put solar powered headlamps and tail lights in it so it sits there at night an glows. :tongue3:

Sounds like something my dad would want to do. He grew up on a farm in MN but lives in a city on a busy street with my mom in WI now. For years he always threatened that he wanted to buy a beat up old tractor or even better an old threshing machine like they had when he was a kid and display it in the front yard.

My mom won that battle, but we took him for a drive around some Amish and Mennonite communities when we lived in Illinois and they came to visit - he absolutely loved it and would have probably stayed to work during harvest time if we'd have let him.

There was a farmhouse we used to drive by in Illinois that put a big John Deere tractor out in the front yard for Christmas and decorated it with lights - including the "chaser" lights around the rims of all the wheels so it looked like they were rotating. Always thought it looked pretty cool - redneck to the max, but still kinda neat.

I say go for it

P

pippinwhitepaws

still looking for the tractor...
i guess it might be a '39...

Attachments

• 01010024.JPG
    01010024.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 217
  • 01010021.JPG
    01010021.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 211
OP
OP
Cubfan64

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pippinwhitepaws said:
still looking for the tractor...
i guess it might be a '39...

Hehe - crazy that something like that would just be sittin there high and dry in the desert. I can't imagine what kind of a bumpy ride it was back then whether on a road or not.

It'll make for an interesting conversation piece

P

pippinwhitepaws

i was following an old wagon road...just around the bend from the car is an old stage stop...private owners on the building complex...but this car was taken up there an dumped...no frame....but what a lawn ornament... ;D
about three miles off the navajo rez...so the mobsters probably had long black hair.

Attachments

• 01010026.JPG
    01010026.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 188

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread