65.3 KB · Views: 266

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Re: homemade bread

Great eating,just warm a piece and put a little honeybutter on it with a good cup of coffee. :thumbsup:

P

pippinwhitepaws

Re: homemade bread

the heck with the recipe, where is the honey and butter?

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the recipe. I do cheat a little and use a bread machine with the "Dough" setting.
I add the ingredients in this order:
1-1/3 cups of room temperature water
3 cups of white bread flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup cracked wheat
3 tablespoons of non-fat dry milk
2 well-packed tablespoons of brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 generous tablespoon of honey
2 teaspoons of dry, bread machine yeast
Preservatives......NONE!! ;D
Put the machine on the "Dough" setting and press start. The dough cycle on my machine takes 1 hour, 20 minutes to complete the process.
I then take the 2 bread pans (not sure of the pan size and I'm not at home to measure. The large one is either 8 or 10 inches) Anyway, I spray a light coating of Pam in the pans before placing the dough in them.
I then split the ball of dough in two pieces, one larger than the other due to the different sizes of the pans.
I then take a dishtowel, get it wet with hot water, wringe it out and gently place it over the 2 bread pans. I don't know why I do that, I just do. You can probably skip that step.
Let the loaves set to rise, undisturbed, for at least 45 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 365
Just before putting the loaves in the oven, brush on a thin coating of melted butter. Be gentle doing this or the bread will "fall" and you'll lose the texture you're trying to achieve. I used to take a single-edged razor blade and make a slit down the top of the loaf to make it look "professionally" made but, too many times the bread would fall so I quit doing it.
I set the oven timer for 29 minutes but, when there are about 3 minutes left to go, I pull the smaller loaf out. You may have to tweak your time or temperature based on your particular oven.
Right after pulling the loaves out of the oven, I brush on another thin layer of melted butter, remove them from the pans and set them on some sort of rack to cool. Let them cool for at least 15 minutes which will make them easier to slice.
Folks have a lot of ways, such as egg washes etc., that they use to adjust the crust to their own particular tastes. I don't get too fancy, just the butter is fine with me.
I have a ton of bread recipes but, this is my favorite cracked wheat. I also have my own sourdough starter which is a whole different ballgame.
It's kinda fun, no preservatives, tastes great and makes the house smell good. :thumbsup:

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
packerbacker said:
Here's the recipe. I do cheat a little and use a bread machine with the "Dough" setting.

Anyway, I spray a light coating of Spam in the pans before placing the dough in them.

I am definitely trying the recipe!! well other than that Spam part! rofl

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay class, Cyn's paying attention, you can learn from her lead. :icon_study:
There's plenty to go around Burdie.
For you Gyps, I'll deliver!

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
I was going to ask a serious question here, but now I am laughing too hard. :D

If I don't have a bread machine? What do I do with the dough before I let it rise? My Gram used to do the wet towel thing also, I think it helps it to rise quicker? :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not much on bread making without the machine. It would require kneading the dough, by hand of course, letting it rise for a while, then kneading it again and rise again. Then the oven. I'm guessing here. Kneading by hand involves a higher skill level as everything has to be mixed thoroughly and I'm, well.....lazy.
You can probably google some bread-making recipes and techniques. Good luck

Cobalt*Blue

Oct 9, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Bounty Hunter 3300 w/4" coil
I have been making bread in my bread maker for years and although it's good, It NEVER looks as appetizing as yours.
I'll try your method. Thank you. hh blue

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
packerbacker said:
I'm not much on bread making without the machine. It would require kneading the dough, by hand of course, letting it rise for a while, then kneading it again and rise again. Then the oven. I'm guessing here. Kneading by hand involves a higher skill level as everything has to be mixed thoroughly and I'm, well.....lazy.
You can probably google some bread-making recipes and techniques. Good luck

I'm with you Packer, looks like I'll be "kneading" to put a bread maker on my Christmas list. :wink:

T

trish76642

packer that looks sooooooooo good!
I can just taste it with my homemade grape jelly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread