Bald eagles at Conowingo Dam, Maryland

DanL

Feb 17, 2007
Ellicott City, Maryland
I made a quick 45 minutes stop yesterday at Conowingo Dam on the Susquehanna River in Maryland (about 30 minutes north of Baltimore) to snap some shots of wintering bald eagles. The area around the dam has one of the highest concentrations of bald eagles east of the Mississippi during the winter and some days you can see upwards of 70 of them there. The place is always packed with serious bird watchers and photographers from all along the east coast. I only saw about a dozen eagles yesterday and none were hunting, but I did manage to get a few hand-held shots with my very modest $750 camera outfit. Many photographers there were armed with lenses alone that cost 20 times that amount. Wish I had that kind of money... :wink:

Attachments

• IMG_2208_LoRes.jpg
    IMG_2208_LoRes.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_2211_LoRes.jpg
    IMG_2211_LoRes.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_2214_LoRes.jpg
    IMG_2214_LoRes.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_2226_LoRes.jpg
    IMG_2226_LoRes.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_2228_LoRes.jpg
    IMG_2228_LoRes.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 282
S

seger98

Beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing!

Happy New Year

Chris

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice pics.............. symbol of feedom of America. Glad to see that the bald eagle has made a great come back after near extinction

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Magestic birds, thanks for sharing.

Fossis...............

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics!! I just saw a pair two weeks ago over the Susquehanna at Sunbury.

Hal

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro
Beautiful shots Dan - thanks for sharing... :thumbsup:

Some of my favorite shots when I worked on the water were taken with a Fuji disposable underwater camera. I say it's more in the shooter's eye (and heart) than the equipment... :wink:

Attachments

• andy777-R1-028-12A_1 (Small).jpg
    andy777-R1-028-12A_1 (Small).jpg
    37 KB · Views: 254

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did rather well with your camera. The wife and I went there for a day trip a few years ago, funny, on the way there, only 15 miles from home a Bald Eagle sailed over the road in front of us and landed in a tree next to Malaga Lake. We had a successful day even before we got out of Jersey. I think we only saw about a dozen or so that day, but luckily one grabbed a fish and took it to a stony sand bar downstream and started devouring there, I did not have a good camera with me at that time. :(
I also remember seeing up to 30-40 Great Blue Herons all bunched together on the one island directly across from the picnic area. They must winter there also. Sure is a cold place though when the wind is blowing out of the Northwest!

Don

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Great shots, Wow that would be something to get close enough to get pics like that.

Thanks for sharing.

Happy NEW Year,

Ray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread