Baton Rouge Louisiana

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
There is nothing like your hometown. I was born here in 1966 and have lived nearly all of my 42 years in Baton Rouge. I built houses here for the better part of 20 years. I own a Taxi Cab here now, I love my job/business. I took this photo from the west side of the Mississippi River. I really like this shot because its not easy to get in the place I took it from. I was doing a pick up of a tugboat captain and had gone through security to get on that part of the levee/ dock. The tallest building in the picture is our state capital building, its the tallest of its kind in the nation.
( the bottom of the photo is labeled "new Orleans", this pic was in a bigger file with that name)

Attachments

• new orleans june07 006 (Small).jpg
    new orleans june07 006 (Small).jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 260
OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Your from Ohio, what in the #$$%%^ are you doing on I-10???? lol Yes its really fun on that bridge when theres an accident ahead and yuor just sitting!

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pic, I liked it, when I visited Baton Rouge. Skyline pics are my fave, I have a few good ones of Houston.

Molly.

S

seger98

It took me over an hour on I-10 to get from one end of Baton Rouge to the other when I pulled the RV down here a month ago! You have some crazy drivers over there! :tard:

jerrync

Aug 26, 2006
archdale N.C.
you gotta learn different ways to get across baton rouge during rush hours when i was working there bout a hundred years ago lol. we used a 2 lane to get back n forth. keep posting the pics shane i'm missing la. jerry

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the wonderful comments. Jerry, must have been about 100 yrs ago, lol. We have many 2 lanes. Airline hwy perhaps? Seger 98 try driving a taxi cab here for 12 to 14 a day! :tard: Molly thanks......I love the skylines too. Not like we have much of one though.

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
Nice skyline picture! Some of the best are always from secure docks hehe.

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never had the pleasure of being in your beautiful hometown Please post more pics.
Are you driving for youself or own your cab and drive for someone else?

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Granny, I met you at La Bayou hunt? I remember the name...yes I own my own Taxi and business. I drove for another co. for about 2 1/2 years and thought, "shoots I can do this for myself". I have a good business, lots of repeat customers and i have a contract with a chiropractor, I take patients to appts. and back home. I also go to New Orleans airport from Baton Rouge quite a bit as well as other places in Louisiana.
Heck of alot easier than framing homes! And I make much more $$$$.

www.bayoutaxi.vpweb.com

Attachments

• BayouTaxi 002 (Small).jpg
    BayouTaxi 002 (Small).jpg
    71 KB · Views: 222

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice lookin cab, years ago I dispatched for a cab co. I lkiked it! but, I am keeping the # so if I am ever in the area I know who to call for a ride! ;D

Happy New Year thought youd remember I was the one \runnin around with a camera all the time! And one of the Lalas with garters!

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Granny this one is from the Baton rouge side (east) of the Mississippi River looking at the I-10 bridge. On the North side of town we have another bridge that has a trestle. The water was really really high at this point from all the snow melting up North and coming down. They even had to open the Bonnet Carey spill way and let water drain into Lake Pontchartrain to relieve the river and pressure on the Levees.
For the bridges size reference look at the little shadows on the bridge, some are 18 wheelers. The river is really wide down here.

Attachments

• mississippiriver 002 (Small).jpg
    mississippiriver 002 (Small).jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 219

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only part of the Great Mississippi I have seen is runnin beside the Arch in St. Louis. The water does look high from the spot you were standing, at least it looks high.

jerrync

Aug 26, 2006
archdale N.C.
Shane you're right it was airline hwy. i had to look it up only thing i remembered was 190 thinking back it was only 20 something years seems like 100 though lol made the drive 7 days a week from denham springs to the other side of baton rouge. jerry

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
shanegalang said:
Your from Ohio, what in the #$$%%^ are you doing on I-10???? lol Yes its really fun on that bridge when theres an accident ahead and yuor just sitting!

Truck driver usually headed back from California to Florida :D

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jerry,

That was then... I think about when I was working in Baton Rouge and driving to Springfield nothing compared to now. Since Katrina the population in Baton Rouge tripled. It's bumper to bumper traffic all the way to the Walker exit now. So much for my little skips to BR shopping, I head the other way to Slidell. Of course I hear all the time about when my husband was younger, going rabbit & squirrel hunting where Sherwood Forest is now.

:wink: RR

jerrync

Aug 26, 2006
archdale N.C.
R R I bet things have changed so much i wouldn't even recognise b.r. now porbably wouldnt recognise denham springs either but i still get a longing to be there again. jerry

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
i saw your post this morning and when i saw the 1st photo it looked familiar i got out
my photo album out from 1980 - 81 when i drove a big truck and there was the same photo
28 yrs later i wasn't sure what town it was or which highway traffic must've been backed
up or a complete stop cause i managed to snap 2 photos while i was on top of the bridge
and thanks to you 1. i know what the bridge looks like now 2. i know the highway i was on
and 3. the city and state capital building thanks much for sharing your pictures :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread