1st Robin(s) Here? January? N. Id?

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
Took this picture through the window screen yesterday January 16th. on a foggy day up here in North Idaho. We've had a tough winter again, December with below 0s and then snow at depths that smashed roofs down and collapsed large buildings. Next rain and Ice. Yesterday I looked out the front window where theres a Mountain Ash tree that has bitter red berries that stay on through winter. There were at least 40 Robins in the tree and on the snow under it. This is a surprise as were less than 100 miles from Canada , and we usually see the first robin in April. Sure has locals debating global warming. Sorry for the lousy photogaphy.

Attachments

• robins jan 16 09.jpg
    robins jan 16 09.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 196

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here in NC, Robins everywhere. They never used to come & feed here but have this year. I thought it was a little too early, but here they are..

Molly. :D

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Maybe they never really left......

Reposted from Cornell Lab of Ornithology web site:

"Although the appearance of a robin is considered a harbinger of spring, the American Robin actually spends the winter in much of its breeding range. However, because they spend less time in yards and congregate in large flocks during winter, you're much less likely to see them. The number of robins present in the northern parts of the range varies each year with the local conditions."

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/American_Robin.html

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Robins never leave Ohio. I see them every year all through the month of winter. They are confused like the Canadian geese are ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread