Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
COUNTRY GIRL said:
Ron, Maine lobster is some of the best!

Maine lobster IS the best :thumbsup: But you wouldn;t be able to legally buy one that size here in Maine, we have an oversize limit here (Mass. doesn;t), and for conservation any lobster with a main body(not including the tail) over 5 inches, we have to toss it back overboard...it is considered breeder stock. We also have to notch a V in the tail of any female bearing eggs and toss it back and later toss back any female with a nothced tail.
Nothing beats a nice shedder lobster though...much sweeter tasting, and I could never eat a hard shell, for to me the meat is too rubbery and tough and lacks the sweetness that the shedders have. When we are hauling I will usually bring home the "jelly bellies", those are ones that just shed and are like a blob and after cooking them you can literally just peel the shell off like paper and that meat while softer is the sweetest tasting. But then again, I would MUCH rather eat crabmeat! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Naragansett, We have a tiny little family owned grocery that goes to Boston every day for fresh sea food, it's what they are known for. They have the freshest fruit and veggies around, in store bakery, make the best broccoli salad..........you get it. Wish I could get it from the dock once or twice. :)

Guys, I've had crawfish once, in Atlanta, tasted like chicken. :wink: I'd eat it again.

Well it was one of the bigest we've won (sorry Maine) they raffle one of similar size every Friday.

Maine, I agree Maine lobster is the best, REALLY! :thumbsup: I did not understand the different regulations in size and gender. Why? Population differences? Water temps. do they make a size difference? I've never had a jelly belly, but would love to try one. Crab is the best, so much sweeter. :thumbsup:

Thanks Folks!

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Love lobster! Absolutely LOVE lobster, but haven't been challenged to cook a live one, fortunately. The closest we can get down here to live lobster is the frozen tail at Sam's. BUT, I've learned to love that even though it's "from a distance." You folks on the NE coast are to be envied!

Mental Granny, you and I need to have a talk. Deer meat is the best thing for you. No fat, great taste. And you're in prime deer territory. You gotta get a grip, get a rifle, and then get a grip on that rifle! Call me!

Noodle

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
COUNTRY GIRL said:
Maine, I agree Maine lobster is the best, REALLY! :thumbsup: I did not understand the different regulations in size and gender. Why? Population differences? Water temps. do they make a size difference? I've never had a jelly belly, but would love to try one. Crab is the best, so much sweeter. :thumbsup:

Thanks Folks!

Well Maine figures that by throwing back the V-tails and oversize lobsters it will substain the stock, they consider these "breeder" lobsters and by law we have to throw them back. Also it is illegal for the draggers to sell lobsters as a by-catch, where in Mass the draggers can sell them legally, which is why alot of Maine dragges sell their catch in Mass. Kind of a crazy way to conserve the lboster stock when each state has different conservation laws for them and where some of the laws are easily by-passed... :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread