Field Trip to the U.S.S. Alabama Battleship

OP
OP
S

seger98

CaptJohn said:
When I was in Grade School we kids gave our lunch money one day to begin the fund to buy the Battleship ALABAMA and bring it to Mobile from Va. I think it was a state wide effort that day.

That is very interesting! You'd think that would have made mention of that someplace.

thirty7 said:
really good pics Chris, that thing's a beast, hard to believe how sophisticated todays modern warships are compared to this class. 4 props each weighing 18.5 tons, unreal! According to the plaque it only saw 5 years of action, that seems pretty shortlived to me. 22 confirmed downed enemy planes is what I'm talking about! get some.

Yeah, I was truly amazed! The submarine was really cool too. I think I liked that even more.

silvercop said:
went there last july....fun trip but it was so hot you could not stay in the ship long

That's a bummer, hope ya didn't miss too much. We pretty much had it all to ourselves.

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe my dad served on her for awhile. Spent most of his time patching holes if I remember correctly. Saw it on the way to the hunt.

Burdie

OP
OP
S

seger98

kiddrock33 said:
outstanding photography is that a sr-71 spyplane?

The black one? I don't know for sure, they didn't have any of the planes marked, I thought it was a stealth fighter? :icon_scratch:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I drove by the ship once on the way to Fla. to a military base in the late 1960s. I was impressed! Also impressed by the tunnel that ran under Mobile Bay! Yes, that is an SR-71. I was stationed at an AWACS squadron in Orlando and the SR71 flew out of there once a week. It's mission was classified TOP SECRET, NEED TO KNOW ONLY. I don't know where it went but we tracked it on radar until it was out of range and then picked it up on the way back and vectored it into the base. When it flew it came out of the hanger on it's takeoff roll and had priority over everything else. When it came back it went directly into its hanger and never came out unless it was going on a mission. I was in the command post and had to notify the Air Force Command Post in the Pentagon when it left and when it came back. We used a code word and never gave our name or rank. One day a flight line driver took a picture of it and he was spread eagled and the film ripped out of his camera. Later I found out it could fly nearly 4,000 mph and was the fastest airplane ever built. It could outrun antiaircraft rockets. Monty

OP
OP
S

seger98

Monty said:
I drove by the ship once on the way to Fla. to a military base in the late 1960s. I was impressed! Also impressed by the tunnel that ran under Mobile Bay! Yes, that is an SR-71. I was stationed at an AWACS squadron in Orlando and the SR71 flew out of there once a week. It's mission was classified TOP SECRET, NEED TO KNOW ONLY. I don't know where it went but we tracked it on radar until it was out of range and then picked it up on the way back and vectored it into the base. When it flew it came out of the hanger on it's takeoff roll and had priority over everything else. When it came back it went directly into its hanger and never came out unless it was going on a mission. I was in the command post and had to notify the Air Force Command Post in the Pentagon when it left and when it came back. We used a code word and never gave our name or rank. One day a flight line driver took a picture of it and he was spread eagled and the film ripped out of his camera. Later I found out it could fly nearly 4,000 mph and was the fastest airplane ever built. It could outrun antiaircraft rockets. Monty

Wow, that is very interesting, thank you Monty for sharing that.

Chris

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions