my little friend ssss.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 367

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
from the look of his eyes, and the fact you got that close without a defense reaction, I'd say he was ready to shed his old skin
great pic

Sniffer

S

seger98

Is that a black rat snake? And the wife wants to know if it's far enough away from Alabama ::)

OP
OP
spawn00x

spawn00x

Jan 25, 2009
El Paso Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70
I'm thinking black-tailed or western diamondback rattlesnake. this was up at Aden Crater Volcano in southern New Mexico.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can keep your friend. ;D I don't like his looks and I pray I never meet anything that looks like that. ::)

:wink: RR

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I wouldn't mind meeting him, as long as he understands, I like to maintain some distance LOL

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am told that if you get down close and look into their eye's, from the side, you can tell if they are poisonous. At least that is what Dumb Pete told me.

SKD

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
The only way I'd want to meet him is his skin around my waist and his body in da skillet ;D......NGE

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know where you found him at, but he looks a lot like a timber rattler. They're darker, and they're very mean. They don't see any need to rattle and warn you. I would have to see it in real life to tell more. That boy of mine does research on reptiles and has published some studies in "Herpetologica" and he would know more about it. He'd want to catch it and bring it home. I don't know about those eyes, if it's getting ready to shed or it's just the photo. Ya'll remember this. When snakes of all kinds get ready to shed, the skin over the eyes clouds over and they are essentially blind for a short time. Out of self-defense they will strike far more readily at anything they sense near them. I don't kill snakes anymore. I just pass on by and leave them be.

OP
OP
spawn00x

spawn00x

Jan 25, 2009
El Paso Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70
I found him in Southern New Mexico in October. He rattled right before I got to close.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread