Love A Good Mardi Gras Parade

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• spanishttownmardigrasparade 068 (Small).jpg
    spanishttownmardigrasparade 068 (Small).jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 266
OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's one from Friday night of Angela after a parade, The Southdowns Parade,
Both pictures are showing only part of the beads we caught, I believe we are somewheres near 50 pounds or so, so far. We also caught cups and stuffed animals and a couple of ?? Doubloons? They are the "coins". I have some they used to throw in times past. They were metal like a real coin and were heavy. Now they are aluminum and lightweight, cheap.

Attachments

• southdownsmardigrasparade 031 (Small).jpg
    southdownsmardigrasparade 031 (Small).jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 238

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
She looks beautiful as always! :thumbsup: What in the world are you going to do with all those beads? lol I have the few I got at CTH2 in a vase on the shelf and it looks pretty cool but 50lbs?!! :o

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Cynangyl said:
She looks beautiful as always! :thumbsup: What in the world are you going to do with all those beads? lol I have the few I got at CTH2 in a vase on the shelf and it looks pretty cool but 50lbs?!! :o
Cyn,down there 50lbs is just about enough to hang from your rearview mirror.

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Cynangyl said:

Actually we end up throwing away the majority of them. I would love to give them to anyone that would want them. Some folks have never been to a parade. They throw so many that alot end up on the ground and noone even bothers to pick them up. The street sweepers run right behind the end of the parade and gets the majority of them off the ground. Many end up in trees and fences etc.

Luck Be a Lady

Dec 21, 2007
Arizona & Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 & ACE 250
Actually we end up throwing away the majority of them. I would love to give them to anyone that would want them. Some folks have never been to a parade. They throw so many that alot end up on the ground and noone even bothers to pick them up. The street sweepers run right behind the end of the parade and gets the majority of them off the ground. Many end up in trees and fences etc.

Wow, that's alot of beads! This is my first Mardi Gras season down here in Alabama. I had no idea that so much went in to these parades! It's a shame that all of this stuff gets wasted as someone had to pay good money to be on those floats to throw them. I saw on the news that on one float the people had to pay $300 each and had to buy their own "throws".

Kathy

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
I am quite certain folks can figure out ways to use those beads instead of wasting them. I know my grandbabies sure thought mine were pretty cool for dress up when they were here if nothing else. I just had a few strings of purples and gold ones. You all know how I love the purple. lol I am just saying...there are plenty of cool things folks could do with the beads instead of just watching them get swept up by the street sweeper. I would love to see one of the parades someday....have heard a lot about them but never been there. Thanks for sharing the pics and stories with us!

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I failed to mention the moon pies. We did catch a few of those. And some candy.....seems like when I was a kid they threw more candy. And for the first time I cought a REAL chicken foot. There is some history behind the chicken parts but I forget what it's all about.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Save all those chicken parts.After they get through taking stuff out of me,I'll rattle when I walk if I don't replace some of them.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
lol Daddy I am sure they can find better parts than that! :thumbsup: Okay....what is up with the chicken feet? I can't even come up with an idea on that one. lol

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love A Good Mardi Gras Parade...so do I :thumbsup: Shane, you and Angela really loaded up with the beads. What I catch, always goes towards making something with them or reusing at another parade or by collecting and giving them to another organization to use in the local parades.

For Cyndi, here's the Mardi Gras wreath I made using grape vine wreath, covered with MG colored foil and adding a mask and beads to it.

mardi gras wreath (2).jpg

Enjoy some MG music...

Here's the website of the Krewe of Wrecks Boat Parade...normally we decorate our boat and participate in the festivities or depending on the weather, we'll just drive down and park near the riverbank and catch beads in a dipping net. This is within 5 miles by water from my house, 11 miles by road.

http://www.dundeeproductions.com/Krewe_of_Wrecks.html

Remember the email pic I sent you? I've seen worst at parades in NOLA.

:wink: RR

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
That wreath is pretty Judie! you are so very talented with stuff, I would not have even thought of that! That link looks like quite a huge party goin on! Would be something to see for sure!

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here the Walmart has an end cap of stuff and the next end cap is St. Paddys Day the bars and people will do St. Paddys but the only ones I've seen do MG is the Catholic Church and maybe a few private parties. I live such a shelted exisitance! ;D

And Judie the wreath is beautiful!

S

seger98

jeff of pa said:

You would not believe how many parades there are down here! Even in Mobile to Pensacola, FL! Seems like there is at LEAST 2 0r 3 each and every day since the beginning of February. Every town has a schedule, it's quite unbelievable! Seems like a real waste of money IMO.

Chris

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the floats are Awsome.
A giant aligator Going by now

Top Member Reactions