Got very lucky to get this one. (slightly squeamish)

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
If I hadn't stepped around the corner to make a call to work I never would have seen this juvenile Red Tail having lunch right beside us. From where I stood I could not tell what he was doing or see the feathers surrounding this great hunter. It wasn't until I got home and downloaded the pictures did I realize just what a lucky shot it was. I guess we all have to stop for lunch. :)

Attachments

• deer 09 005.JPG
    deer 09 005.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 435
  • deer 09 010.JPG
    deer 09 010.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 446
  • deer 09 012.JPG
    deer 09 012.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 436

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah, you did great, terrific photographs! I almost had similar but the dang screen in my window made the shots nowhere clear enough to post! Had a Coopers Hawk "playing" with a Starling! :o

Don

S

seger98

Those are some fantastic photos. Amazing you got close enough to capture them.

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Don, I actually thought of you when I got home and saw what I had. I knew you'd like it. :)

Seger, I wasn't "that" close. I was far enough away that I had to use full zoom to get the capture. You could not see what was going on with the naked eye. When I showed my husband he said "What is it?" I just knew I had to take a shot or two. :wink:

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Yup, that is a good one. Not too ofen you get a chance to get a good one like that.

One day a few years ago I was on the way home from work and a Red tailed Hawk sudenly dropped down on the grass
alongside the shoulder of the expressway. He Landed just a few feet from me and as I passed he was lifting up with
a snake about three of four feet long in his talons. That was quite a sight and really wished I could have gotten
a pic because he was so close I had a perfect view.

Thanks for showing the pics.

Ray

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, nice shot Sis ;D I saw a family of four hawks gliding in the sky today, it was awesome just watching them have fun in the sky. I do remember the strangest thing that happened several years back, I notice a hawk in the pasture just standing there, I thought it might be injured, so I rode my ATV closer, it took off struggling to lift off. That was a sight, cause you could hardly see the body but you could notice the bushy tail fluttering. I interrupted the hawk's squirrel dinner.

:wink: RR

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
We had a dead snake in the driveway one day, one of those great big black ones. Well the crows were enjoying every second of that. :-\ My Brother and Sister-in law were coming up the driveway, (yup shorty :wink: ) interupting the crows feast. One of the crows decided to fly off with the snake, of course it was too heavy, so he dropped it right on the windshield of their truck. :D Should have heard the screams! :D Wish I had my camera for that one. ;D

Thanks for the stories Folks!

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Oh dear goodness what I would not give to see a crow drop a snake on Shorty! rofl The windshield was a good one too tho! :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The big city nearby was having a huge problem with pigeons roosting in the underpasses and coating the sidewalks with bird poop. The health department said the droppings harbor all kinds of unfriendly to humans bacteria and it is very risky to walk through it or breathe the air. So, they imported some Paragen Falcons (SP?) from somewhere. They nest on the sides of the tallest buildings and love pigeons for dinner. I use to sit in my office and ever now and then see one of the falcons nail a pigeon! It was spectacular. They'd zoom into view as if coming from nowhere and bang! Feathers would fly and the unlucky prey would crash to the sidewalk. The little falcons would drag them off to one side and sit and feast and dare anyone to try to interfere. The falcons are very small but very fierce for their size. Monty

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Sis, I knew you'd get a kick out of that. I sure did! Wait until you hear about the Sea Gull. ;D

Bridge, I saw a hawk of some sort (happened so fast I wasn't sure what kind of bird it was) come out of no where and scoff a blue jay off the ground. Boy did that jay screech!

Monty, do you think those Falcons would work on Sea Gulls? They are so nasty around here recently, poop all over the cars (do you know what that does to paint?), swear they are target practicing. Brought a nice shinny red car around for delivery and within 10 minutes they had peppered it, had to have been 20 poops from trunk to hood. Then a week or so ago "shorty" is standing out on the lot talking with a customer, I am watching from my office window, see a group of three Gulls fly over, then "shorty" dancing around wiping her hair. I knew exactly what had happened! I have to admit I could NOT stop laughing for hours. I know I'm bad.................but that there was funny! :D

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics, CG. That boy of mine in Oklahoma is into falconry and uses hawks to hunt with. He raises and trains the local ones we have there. That's cool you got the pictures, hope you post more!

Attachments

• walt & woody edit.JPG
    walt & woody edit.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 280
OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
RGINN, That's awesome! I'd love to see and hear more about your son and his amazing birds. Trust me you'll see plenty more from me. :D

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
COUNTRY GIRL said:
Sis, I knew you'd get a kick out of that. I sure did! Wait until you hear about the Sea Gull. ;D

Bridge, I saw a hawk of some sort (happened so fast I wasn't sure what kind of bird it was) come out of no where and scoff a blue jay off the ground. Boy did that jay screech!

Monty, do you think those Falcons would work on Sea Gulls? They are so nasty around here recently, poop all over the cars (do you know what that does to paint?), swear they are target practicing. Brought a nice shinny red car around for delivery and within 10 minutes they had peppered it, had to have been 20 poops from trunk to hood. Then a week or so ago "shorty" is standing out on the lot talking with a customer, I am watching from my office window, see a group of three Gulls fly over, then "shorty" dancing around wiping her hair. I knew exactly what had happened! I have to admit I could NOT stop laughing for hours. I know I'm bad.................but that there was funny! :D

ROFL Goooooood seagull! Might be worth the work cleaning up after them if they would bomb her more often!

RGINN--That would be incredible to watch! I was always fascinated with the falcons and falconry growing up but that is one of the few animals I never had.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, I don't know how one would acquire the little falcons. There would have to be some very high roosting spots for them to stick around and as far as eating sea gulls. I haven't a clue. You might check with a local or non local university for that matter for some answers. Sounds like a possibility though. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread