GETTING UP IN THE WORLD

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
On my One Room School pic, on down toward the bottom I mentioned about making stilts. All the ones that the kids had were only about a foot off the ground. I made my first pair that high and one day I started thinking they would be
more fun if they were a little higher. so then after I made a set a little higher I got to wondering just how high
I could go and still walk on them. They kept getting higher until they were 6 or 7 feet up. You sure do make a big step
on stilts with the blocks that high off the ground. To get on them I'd have to go off the ladder. When I wanted off I'd
shove them straight out and drop to the ground. Couldn't walk around too long cause they would get to heavy to pick
up. LOL. I found the pic that my mother took of me walking and thought maybe it might bring back some memories
for some of you. There must have been more than Just Monty that had fun with stilts.

I was 15 years old when this was taken with an old Kodac Box camera. The pic is showing signs of age now.

Ray

Attachments

• scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 217

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Wow! Always thought that would be fun but never tried it....that is a looooong way up there though! lol

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We made them in school also, lots of fun.

Fossis...............

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
;D :D they were fun. I had homemade stilts too, but not that high. Kids today would not have time for or don't even know the old fashioned fun we had. Everything electronics, that's all they know.

:wink: RR

OP
OP
Ray S S

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Hello Cyn,

Yes we did have a lot of fun with these things. And then I had even more fun when I started making them higher. One nice
thing about them was when they would break you just cut them up for firewood and go mske a new pair. LOL Thanks for your
reply.

Seger98 Thank you. Nope, there was no circus destined to be in my future. In fact I never even saw a circus until I
was about 18. I never knew that men or clowns ever walked on them.

Fossis We never made any of ours at school. There was never anything there to make them with. Everyone made them up at home by just going out in the woods and cutting a little tree or a sapling down. That is where I got the material
for most anything i wanted to make. Thank you for your reply.

River Rat, Yes, I agree, it's a shame that the kids today are so involved with electronics that they don't have
time to go outdoors and really have fun doing the kinds of things we used to do. We enjoyed our different things to do and it kept us healthier with all the activity and being out in the fresh air and sunshine. Thanks for your interesting
response.

Ray

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Thanks for the memories! Our stilts were only about 18 inches or so off the ground. It was a blast! We could even spin around backward as well as forward, although we never could run on them.

We built log cabins, dug sassafras roots, fished, hunted, dug old bottles, tapped maple trees and made syrup, got our first detectors, and so on and so forth.

It was fun back then and I have to feel sorry for today's kids.

OP
OP
Ray S S

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Hello MEinWV.

You are right about the stilts, we couldn't run on them either, but it was fun. Glad it brought back some memories
for you. Thanks for your nice reply.

Like they say

When you're raised in the woods

So you know every tree,

We'll have lots of fun,

Come along with me.

LOL

Ray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread