Organ Mountains.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 321
  • Organ MTS.jpg
    Organ MTS.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 306

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
55 years ago when I use to go to Las Cruces while stationed there I seem to remember some sort of old buildings along the highway going from Las Cruces to White Sands Proving Grounds. I seem to remember at the top of the Mountain pass some sort of motel and bar and stopping there and having some drinks.Been so many years its all a blur anymore. Is my memory anywhere near correct spawn00x Ive always wanted to go back and see that town after all these years. Neat series of pictures you posted !
Van

OP
OP
spawn00x

spawn00x

Jan 25, 2009
El Paso Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70
Im not sure what hotel your thinking of. I'm from El Paso and go hiking in Cruces once in a while, but its is a nice place to visit.

VanGone said:
55 years ago when I use to go to Las Cruces while stationed there I seem to remember some sort of old buildings along the highway going from Las Cruces to White Sands Proving Grounds. I seem to remember at the top of the Mountain pass some sort of motel and bar and stopping there and having some drinks.Been so many years its all a blur anymore. Is my memory anywhere near correct spawn00x Ive always wanted to go back and see that town after all these years. Neat series of pictures you posted !
Van

S

seger98

Nice pictures spawn, looks like some pretty rugged territory to go hiking in. I know some places in AZ that look kinda like that. Thanks for sharing them.

Chris

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
spawn00x said:
Im not sure what hotel your thinking of. I'm from El Paso and go hiking in Cruces once in a while, but its is a nice place to visit.

VanGone said:
Van
I was stationed at White Sands in 1953 and we use to go to Cruces on weekends. We had to go over the mountain range from White Sands to get to Cruces, At the top of the mountain pass was some sort of place that served drinks and I think had a motel or rented rooms. Im wondering where that old motel you showed was at or if it was the one at the top on the pass. Probably all changed after 50 years. You being from El Paso,have you ever heard of Gravity hill in El Paso?
Van

OP
OP
spawn00x

spawn00x

Jan 25, 2009
El Paso Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70
The motel was called the Van Patten Mountain Camp. Its up in Dripping Springs in the Organ Mountains. It Shut down in the 1920's. I go through Gravity hill once in a while.

VanGone said:
spawn00x said:

VanGone said:
Van
I was stationed at White Sands in 1953 and we use to go to Cruces on weekends. We had to go over the mountain range from White Sands to get to Cruces, At the top of the mountain pass was some sort of place that served drinks and I think had a motel or rented rooms. Im wondering where that old motel you showed was at or if it was the one at the top on the pass. Probably all changed after 50 years. You being from El Paso,have you ever heard of Gravity hill in El Paso?
Van

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spunky and Betsy are too cool. Best pics I've seen in a while.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread