fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told of a man that was 'Hanged' by Bushwhackers during the Civil War, after they rode away his wife managed to
cut him down, & he lived out a normal life.
This cemetary is called 'Anthony hill ', located in Western AR, his name was also Anthony, Lucky Man.

Fossis...............

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 331
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 330

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
This will probably sound like a silly question but I have always kinda wondered, which side of the headstone do they bury a body on? I am not asking because I want to dig around one I just don't want to walk on anyones grave.

Muddy Feet

Feb 13, 2009
MN
savant365 said:
This will probably sound like a silly question but I have always kinda wondered, which side of the headstone do they bury a body on? I am not asking because I want to dig around one I just don't want to walk on anyones grave.
Unfortunately this is something I have had to deal with and was told they bury on either side.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen the tombstone on both ends. Generally in Christian customs, you're buried facing east, towards where everybody figured Jesus would rise. Headstone placement was of lesser importance. Another custom, was that when a man and woman were married, the groom stood on the bride's right, in death, the husband is buried on the wife's left. And I might have that flip-flopped, but you will see that in cemetaries. I don't know where it originated.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I just assumed there was certain way it was done. I guess not. Thanks for the post Fossis, If I head down that way this summer I'll send you a PM. I would love to go hiking and exploring in some of the places you have posted pics and info of. Thanks for the post.

HH Charlie

S

seger98

Neat photos, reminds me up a cemetery I found in the U.P. that looks like that!

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And besides next to each other and on top of each other in a military cemetry head to head. So some others may be that way to, when my father died his was that way and while walking round saw a father (young) and his baby boy (2 month old) buried the other side ....head to head.

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Muddy Feet said:
Is that actually where hes buried? Cool that you know the history.

Yeah, that's their family cemetary, a Great-Great-Grandson told me the story.

Fossis...............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Muddy Feet said:
savant365 said:
Unfortunately this is something I have had to deal with and was told they bury on either side.

In this area, the stone is on the west side of the body.

Fossis...........

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
savant365 said:
I just assumed there was certain way it was done. I guess not. Thanks for the post Fossis, If I head down that way this summer I'll send you a PM. I would love to go hiking and exploring in some of the places you have posted pics and info of. Thanks for the post.

HH Charlie

You're Welcome, come on down anytime Charlie.

Fossis...............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seger98 said:
Neat photos, reminds me up a cemetery I found in the U.P. that looks like that!

Thanks

Fossis.............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wildcatman71 said:
I love to hike up those OLD graveyards!

It's intresting to look them over.

fossis.............

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
Its always interesting to read your posts Fossis. I've said this before to you and I will say it again. I hope you are putting all this info down on paper or on tape. Would be a shame to lose it .
Thanks for posting it Fossis. I have been very busy since the flood and don't always respond to post on here, but I do take the time to read them and always enjoy yours.
Van

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
That is an interesting and unusual story. Man! I'll bet he was really happy that she cut him down when she did. Mighty
close call for him.

Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ray

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
fossis said:
Muddy Feet said:
Is that actually where hes buried? Cool that you know the history.

Yeah, that's their family cemetary, a Great-Great-Grandson told me the story.

Fossis...............

Would be interesting to know if the GGGrandsons descendants were conceived before or after the unsuccessful hanging took place...If the incident went as planned...he might not have been around to tell his story...Great story and pics... :thumbsup:

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bridge End Farm said:
kinda sad :( too that places like that get forgotten

Yes it is, I joined a Historical Society & cleaned one up, this one needs it too.

fossis.............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VanGone said:
Its always interesting to read your posts Fossis. I've said this before to you and I will say it again. I hope you are putting all this info down on paper or on tape. Would be a shame to lose it .
Thanks for posting it Fossis. I have been very busy since the flood and don't always respond to post on here, but I do take the time to read them and always enjoy yours.
Van

It is sad when I drive through the valley where I was (Born & Raised) , all that is left is Old Home sites, where there used to be Happy families, we just lost the last Old Cowboy, the little church was 'overflowing' with people, they carried him to the Cemetary in a cattle trailer.
So I have an obligation to preserve their History for those who come along later.

Thanks Van, Fossis..............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread