5 generation Cherokee cabin

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello everyone! Here are some photos of the Cherokee cabin located here on our property. This cabin housed 5 generations of Native American family's. A lot of people don't realize, that in this part of the country, Native Americans used cabins not tepees like western Native Americans did. The other photos are of an old settlement barn. Now used to educate children at the 4-h education center. One of our programs here is to teach kids "hands on" Appalachian heritage. Kids get to make tools and furniture like our forefathers did. We hope you enjoy the pics.......Staff

Attachments

• DSC00014.jpg
    DSC00014.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 383
  • DSC00008.jpg
    DSC00008.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 397
  • DSC00009.jpg
    DSC00009.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 396
  • DSC00010.jpg
    DSC00010.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 395
  • DSC00011.jpg
    DSC00011.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 400
  • DSC00014.jpg
    DSC00014.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 398
  • DSC00015.jpg
    DSC00015.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 403
  • DSC00019.jpg
    DSC00019.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 399
  • DSC00012.jpg
    DSC00012.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 385
  • DSC00016.jpg
    DSC00016.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 397
  • DSC00014.jpg
    DSC00014.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 399
S

seger98

Nice photos 4-H, but a suggestion here... Hmmmmm, Some chinking will keep the wind out! LOL :tongue3:

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Looks to be in pretty good shape after 5 generations. There is something about old log structures that I like. Great pics.

I did not know that the Cherokee lived in a cabin. Thanks for the info.

S

seger98

RON (PA) said:
Looks to be in pretty good shape after 5 generations. There is something about old log structures that I like. Great pics.

I did not know that the Cherokee lived in a cabin. Thanks for the info.

I didn't know that either, I learn something new everyday!

4-H, I'm on my way!

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Cool pics! 8)

If you ever get over this way, you might check out Tsa-La-Gi (pronounced saw-la-gee) which is a replicated Cherokee village from the 16th century. The Cherokee actors are not allowed to speak English while in character. They must speak Cherokee and your guide will translate to English. It keeps the language alive and the site authentic as possible.

http://www.oklahomahomeschool.com/FTCtsalagi.html

http://www.lasr.net/pages/city.php?City_ID=OK0302052&VA=Y&Attraction_ID=OK0302052a012

OP
OP
Woodland Detectors

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
stoney56 said:
Cool pics! 8)

If you ever get over this way, you might check out Tsa-La-Gi (pronounced saw-la-gee) which is a replicated Cherokee village from the 16th century. The Cherokee actors are not allowed to speak English while in character. They must speak Cherokee and your guide will translate to English. It keeps the language alive and the site authentic as possible.

http://www.oklahomahomeschool.com/FTCtsalagi.html

http://www.lasr.net/pages/city.php?City_ID=OK0302052&VA=Y&Attraction_ID=OK0302052a012
very cool stoney! we will do that!

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing, those 'old cabins' are getting rare.
Not many folks know that the 'Caddoe's' in Eastern Ok lived in 'log houses', they were built upright with the logs stuck
in the ground, then 'thatched' with grass on the roofs, they have found the 'holes in the ground'.
This was long before the whites arrived in this land.

Fossis.......................

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Hello. 4-h
This is some very interesting info here. About a year ago I read a book about the Trail Of Tears and the Cherokees
and it mentioned about them living in the log cabins there in N.C. It was a book that I enjoyed reading for all the
info that was in it.
Thanks for sharing the pics. I wish I lived closer and I would volunteer to help out around there. It would be a pleasure. I would like to see some of those tools and the other things there.
Thanks again for sharing.

Ray

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for that about Native American dwellings, 4-H. Actually, before and after removal, some of what were called the 'civilized tribes' owned plantations and held slaves. The Cherokees printed up their language and other tribes soon followed. I know some Cherokee but can't speak it properly. Choctaw is a little easier, probably because that's what a lot of my family spoke years ago, and I've heard more of it. However, when someone yells 'N-D-NZ' most folks think of the plains tribes. Alright, they were pretty cool and they did kill Custer. Even I feel a little bit of envy when I go to a plains pow-wow, cause their outfits are (almost) what we see in the movies. In the long run it gets down to regular folks, no matter where you're from. Thanks again. You can destroy stereotypes and kill prejudice with education.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good point, Takoda. To me, that phrase implies ownership. However, I don't think 4-H meant that or intended that. It comes back to education, and hopefully you have just turned on another light for us all to see a little better by. Thanks.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tahlequah is the capital of the Cherokee nation in Oklahoma. I went to college there at Northeastern Oklahoma State University in Tahlequah . My great, great,great grandmothers came over the trail of tears. Her name was Rainbolt, a full blood Cherokee. She married a McNair, a Scottsman in Indian territory. My other grandmother's name was Rice and she married an Englishman named Beatty. My Mother, a McNair married my Dad, of German decent. So, I am a Cherokee, Britt, Scots, Geman! Actually, the Indian side of my family lived in a regular house on a farm. What you see in the pics are very very early Cherokees. most of the ones I am familiar with did live in just regular houses. After all , the Cherokees were one of the Civilized Tribes. :D M ::) nty

jocap

Mar 8, 2007
NV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool pics and thanks for the history lesson. I had no idea some Native Americans used cabins.

HH

BTW, did they use anything to help wind and precipitation from coming through the large opening in the walls?

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
man that some stone work on that chimney.

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
Really nice chimney. To bad the person who built the chimney didn't chink the log walls. That would be a really great looking cabin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions