Bee Castles

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
Country Girls post is correct as far as I'm concerned. My Daughter here in Iowa has the same as you described Fossis. They make those little holes with a little sandy looking pile by them. They just bug the daylights out of her. They never seem aggressive,as you said they just do there thing! Another interesting post Fossis,were learning a lot from you,and so is your Grandson I bet!
Van

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting thread. When I sit outside in summer, I usually get bees hovering, near my face, just checking me out. They aint aggressive,unlike yellow jackets. I think the reason being is as we know yellow jackets can sting repeatedly. If A bee stings you, along with the sting, his abdomen comes out, therefore killing him, so they only sting when they are in fear of dying.
Thanks for the threads Fossis always interesting....

Molly.

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
Thanks again Fossis. I'll keep an eye out for those guys, can't say I've ever seen any. We do have bees that burrow in wood around here, they also don't seem aggressive. Although almost every bee that burrows in the ground around here, is very aggressive.

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
We have some here in WV that build nests in the ground. Gotta keep an eye out when you mow. The skunks will dig them right out and drag the nests off. The chambers underground are about the size of a grapefruit or so.

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
COUNTRY GIRL said:
extractor said:
Ok Country Girl fantastic post! , but, how come you know that much info on Bees?

I think it was Fossis that got me interested last year with the demise of the honey bee. So I saved a link on bees. Fossis gets me intersted in a bunch of things with his adventures. :)

Thanks Country girl, they must be 'mining bee's', I did notice some smaller ones had a 'greenish color.
now, we're all a lot smarter. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Muddy Feet said:
Never seen anything like that around here. Very interesting.

I guess I had never noticed them before, their 'little castles' caught my eye.

fossis.................

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
extractor said:
I think it was Fossis that got me interested last year with the demise of the honey bee. So I saved a link on bees. Fossis gets me intersted in a bunch of things with his adventures.

Same here. He has great post's .

Thanks Extractor

Fossis................

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VanGone said:
Country Girls post is correct as far as I'm concerned. My Daughter here in Iowa has the same as you described Fossis. They make those little holes with a little sandy looking pile by them. They just bug the daylights out of her. They never seem aggressive,as you said they just do there thing! Another interesting post Fossis,were learning a lot from you,and so is your Grandson I bet!
Van

It's hard to 'compete' with the video games, but he paid me the neatest compliment once, he told his Dad he wanted to be just like Grandpa when he grows up, his Dad said: 'why in the world would you want to be like him?
He said: because he knows everything. ::)
My Grandaughter asked me once : do you have any 'neat things' to show us today? almost brought a tear to my eye. :'(
I didn't have a Dad, (died a few months before I was born), so I tried to give my children all that I didn't get as a child, it must have been succesful, they are all 'well adjusted', tax paying, nature loving adults, teaching their children the same ways I taught them.

HH, Fossis...................

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Molly said:
Interesting thread. When I sit outside in summer, I usually get bees hovering, near my face, just checking me out. They aint aggressive,unlike yellow jackets. I think the reason being is as we know yellow jackets can sting repeatedly. If A bee stings you, along with the sting, his abdomen comes out, therefore killing him, so they only sting when they are in fear of dying.
Thanks for the threads Fossis always interesting....

Molly.

And thanks to Country girl for clearing up this mystery.

fossis............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
muleskinner said:
Thanks again Fossis. I'll keep an eye out for those guys, can't say I've ever seen any. We do have bees that burrow in wood around here, they also don't seem aggressive. Although almost every bee that burrows in the ground around here, is very aggressive.

We have the 'wood-bee's' also, they build their nests in the rafters of the barn where i make my Walking sticks, I just move around slowly, & they have never bothered me yet.

fossis...........

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
123jerry said:
dont make the bees mad

These 'little guys' were very calm, just poked their heads out & looked.

Fossis...............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
boogeyman said:
Excellent interesting post!

And remember. Bee nice to the Bees!

Especially if 'you like Honey'. 8)

Fossis................

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MEinWV said:
We have some here in WV that build nests in the ground. Gotta keep an eye out when you mow. The skunks will dig them right out and drag the nests off. The chambers underground are about the size of a grapefruit or so.

The bears in the mts around here dig up the 'yellow-jacket nests & steal their honey.

Fossis..............

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
bbqbull said:
We have them here.
A cup of gasoline down the hole after dark, cover the hole for the night will cure your problem.
Yes they do sting.

Oh yeah they do sting, had a hole full of 'em in my backyard too...the gas idea works good, but I lit it on fire for a fast cleanup. ;D

Be careful playin' with 'em bud.

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scotto said:
bbqbull said:
We have them here.
A cup of gasoline down the hole after dark, cover the hole for the night will cure your problem.
Yes they do sting.

Oh yeah they do sting, had a hole full of 'em in my backyard too...the gas idea works good, but I lit it on fire for a fast cleanup. ;D

Be careful playin' with 'em bud.

Those sound like 'yellow-jackets'.

Fossis...............

TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Minelab Excalabur 11
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Fossis!

We have those bees in our yard. They come out in early spring and buzz and hover around the ground. The vet I work for has an interest in bees. He said they are our original honey bees and there aren't a lot of them around any more. The bees we think of as our honey bees are actually imports brought in long ago, I cant remember from where. They are very calm. I've rubbed their back while they are sitting at the opening to their home and they just crawl around. I've lived with them on our property for 15 years and have never once seen an aggressive move from one of them. Thanks for sharing. You are a very interesting and fun person. Your family is very lucky to have you.
Melissa

Here is a link I found that might be interesting http://www.vernalpools.org/Thorp/

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
fossis said:
VanGone said:
Van

It's hard to 'compete' with the video games, but he paid me the neatest compliment once, he told his Dad he wanted to be just like Grandpa when he grows up, his Dad said: 'why in the world would you want to be like him?
He said: because he knows everything. ::)
My Grandaughter asked me once : do you have any 'neat things' to show us today? almost brought a tear to my eye. :'(
I didn't have a Dad, (died a few months before I was born), so I tried to give my children all that I didn't get as a child, it must have been successful, they are all 'well adjusted', tax paying, nature loving adults, teaching their children the same ways I taught them.

HH, Fossis...................
Fossis he gave you the highest compliment one could ever get. You should be proud of that! He will never forget these times,and he will be telling his Grankids about you and they will say the same thing "They want To Be Just Like You" Thanks for sharing that with us, very cool!
Van

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread