Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
There is a little "Green Acres" land near my neighborhood. It is stuck between modern subdivisions. According to local records, there was a gristmill at the site built around 1782. Unfortunately the site has been hit very hard, long before I ever owned a metal detector. I was able to get a musket ball, and three buckles, two in the same hole. This brings my total to 5 from the site I have nicknamed "Bucklewood". One buckle is more modern, but the others are pre 1850.

It was a beautiful day to be out swinging even tho no copper was in the forecast. The picture is a nice stone wall made primarily of Jersey Sandstone. There is also a cellar hole of the same construction nearby.

Attachments

• 2009_03180008a.JPG
    2009_03180008a.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 237
  • 2009_03180005.JPG
    2009_03180005.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 242

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'ts nice that you have this area to visit, the 'old places' are all dissapearing little by little.

fossis..............

Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 w/7.5&3kHz coils
NEAT!

On my list of "Must Hunts" is a grist mill, a sawmill, and a tannery. They only date back to the 1860's though.

They were owned/operated by a pretty prominent businessman in my area. The locations are on private property (have been for a looooong time) and I have permission to hunt it! As far as the longstanding family owners know - it's never been MD-d. One of the mills still has an original building still standing (it has since been converted for use as a storage barn).

I'll post pics after I've hit it!

-

S

seger98

Nice photos, can I ask where you got that shovel from? Looks like it could cut through some heavy roots!

Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 w/7.5&3kHz coils
seger98 said:
.........can I ask where you got that shovel from? Looks like it could cut through some heavy roots!

Oh yeah - I was gonna ask the same thing but forgot.

What's the story on that shovel?

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Gary in Pennsylvania said:
seger98 said:
.........can I ask where you got that shovel from? Looks like it could cut through some heavy roots!

Oh yeah - I was gonna ask the same thing but forgot.

What's the story on that shovel?

I never go anywhere without my trusty Lesche "Relic Pro" Digging Tool. They are designed with metal detecting in mind. They are more money than hardware store cr*p, but well worth the investment.

Here is the link: http://www.predatortools.com/

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread