Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was invited to a pig hunt in Texas but didn't plan ahead well What was I going to do with it after I shot it? It would take several days to get it processed and I would have to drive 1200 miles round trip to go back and pick up a hundred pounds of pork. That was about the time the gas was over $3.00 a gallon and I figure that would put the pork to about $170.00 a pound! That would have to be some pretty darn tasty pig for that money! So, I decided I didn't really want one that bad and just messed around in the woods for a couple of days. I think my host thought I was disappointed but I wasn't. I should have taken my detector with me though. Thanks TT, next time I'll plan better. Monty

Oh, if the pig is causing damage to private property, it doesn't really matter what you shoot it with and you don't even need a license with permission of the land owner. I took a custom made 6.5 mm Swede Mauser with me but I have a Russian SKS that I wouldn't be afraid to use. Oh, and a custom chambered SMLE .45-70 for Hogzilla! That old 450 grain flat point lead bullet will take down an elephant if I happen to see one in Texas! :wink: :D

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the girls do have their own look out there hunting.
Correct Monty, best way to tenderize the pork. Never heard of a magazine limit for hunting on rifles except for over 9. We can have 1 in the chamber and 9 in the clip.

Attachments

• pig4.jpg
    pig4.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 404
M

MiniMe

Cammies - my favorite clothes.... Great pict of your grandaughter...,.next time hope she gets the shot..

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
here are our pig pictures from this weekend.......mmmmmm.....the other white meat....

db

Attachments

• pig seasoned.jpg
    pig seasoned.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 291
  • pig on grill.jpg
    pig on grill.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 311
  • pig flip.jpg
    pig flip.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 289
  • carving the pig.jpg
    carving the pig.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 335
  • pig head.jpg
    pig head.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 337
OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good looking pork there Danbo. We have dug a fire pit on one of my son's property and stacked up a ton of firewood to cook one underground. On this hunt, we were hoping to get a slightly smaller pig to use for that purpose. We ended up taking this pig to the butcher for regular processing and we'll have to go back out to try and get a smaller one to cook in the ground.
Bummer about the turret guy Plebah. You can't dwell on things; take a break and go hunting. Wild pig bacon, ribs and hams aren't worth the trouble though; not enough fat.

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aw now you done went and made sooooo hungry! And you have some very lovely ladies in your family! Looks like ya'll had a great time!

B

BIG61AL

While I personally have no desire to hunt I must comend you on two things. First - I have no qualms about hunting as long as they use the animal for food like you did. I do have issues with hunting animals just to a head on ones wall. Secondly. I noticed the safety vest being worn. I am a strong advocate for safety when firearms are in use. You were using good judgement.

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Packerbacker, Yeah, that would have been a good hunt with very good results. It looks like you and her
both enjoyed the quality time you had together. Makes for some darn good memories. She's a hunter for
life now. I'm glad to see that things went so well.

Thanks for taking us along on your hunt. I have had many good times out hunting, although I've never
had the opportunity to hunt wild hogg. That would have to be exciting.

Ray

Dirty WhiteBoy

Apr 21, 2009
Seminole, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX fine jewelery extraction device
Keep on shootin those nasty varmints!! Shoot as many as you can! You should see what they did to one of my lawns here in Florida! :cussing: :crybaby2: Down here they make great moving targets! :violent1: We hate them, but many eat them! :tongue7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread