Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an informative post. My son should be the one on here, cause he's involved in reptile research. Here's two more. First is his Blood Python, native to SE Asian. Non-venomous, but this rascal has a nasty disposition and has to be handled with the hook. Second is a Western Diamondback Rattlesnake. If you're bitten by a young one it may be worse, as they haven't learned to control their venom release. Older ones have more experience. If this happens to someone, be sure and let us all know. There's some speculation that rattlesnakes are learning not to rattle, as this leads to discovery and death, and they may pass this behavior on to their young. Kinda scary.

Attachments

• blood python.JPG
    blood python.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 2,513
  • western diamondback1.JPG
    western diamondback1.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 2,502

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And one more. The bullsnake, the wannabe gangmember of the reptile world. They wish they were rattlesnakes, but they're harmless. Pretty intimidating sometimes, until you get to know them.

Attachments

• bullsnake2.jpg
    bullsnake2.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 2,473

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont want to get bit by any of them! Black mamba above is the deadliest snake in the world but this is the biggest ...

Attachments

• anaconda.jpg
    anaconda.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 2,517

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not too sure but I think somebody posted this picture on Tnet in another topic, but hey great pic :tard: the snake is a Rattle Snake.... sorry about the size of the pic, but that is the biggest I have.

9 feet 1 inch 97 pounds rattle snake.jpg

God bless
Peter

OP
OP
*Molly*

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought the Python was the largest snake in the world. Records show one grew to 49 ft, 980Ib..

Fantastic pics everyone. The Diamondback is spectacular..

Soon be time for the hissing critters to be coming out, I have my camera to the ready..

Molly.

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IF YOU ARE SCREAMISH, THEN DON"T LOOK.......

These pics are of a snake eating a kangeroo....... this snake is BIG.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

I have never seen anything like this before.

God bless
Peter

OP
OP
*Molly*

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geeze, you'd have to keep your eye on your young children out there. I watched something simular on the wildlife channel & thats exactly what they said, about those type of snakes wouldn't think twice on taking a young child, scarey thought.

I'll say one thing, after he has eaten the roo, would be a great time to get close ups. Not like he would have room for me..lol. Sad, but still facinating creatures.

Snakes must have some wicked stomach acid to digest all that.. What an horrible way to go.

Molly.

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi molly,

I believe that these snakes actually dislocate their jews to eat large animals etc. They also say that a meal like that will keep them going all winter long. In fact they just lay there, as they cannot move anywhere. So if you are a snake catcher this would be a great time to catch it. It is also at these times that the snake is also vunerable to being eaten by their prditors, as they cannot get away. Funny how nature is hey :thumbsup:

God bless
Peter

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
PETER !!! , I think your try'n to put the "sqweeze" on us here ,.... That seems to be a bit of a "stretch" now doesn't it ?? And I find that a bit hard to "swallow" !! ;D
WOW !! Blindpig

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peter when I realized it was a Kangaroo...wow!!!!!  It reminds me of the picture from the Florida Everglades of the python that died trying to swallow a huge alligator.  It swallowed it but then the alligator tried to get out of it.  To make a long story short, they both died.

Here are a few more creatures I have had a run in with....sorry I didn't get the picture of the snake that fell into the water one time when I was metal detecting in a river.  I thought it was a cotton mouth...walked on water to get out of there, it turned out to be some kind of snake called a banded water snake...

The first pic is of a common black snake in Florida.

The second pic is of a Tarantula that was waiting for me when I came down stairs at midnight.  Apparently they are common here in San Salvador.  They call them horse spiders because it is common for them to bite horse hoofs (probably their legs).  I've asked a million times if they are poisonous, depending on who I asked I got a different story...so I won't get near them...common sense right

Attachments

• IMG_0174 Large e-mail view.jpg
    IMG_0174 Large e-mail view.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 2,348
  • Untitled-Scanned-22 Large e-mail view.jpg
    Untitled-Scanned-22 Large e-mail view.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 2,308

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BlindPig, imagine the burp after that meal :tard:

el conquistador that is a fantastic shot of the black snake, in fact stunning.... is it a poisenous snake? The story with the aligator I have also seen, in fact the alligator more or less ripped the snake apart to get out. It sounds a bit like Jonah and the whale ::)
In South Africa, they keep Tarantulas as pets. You will see kids with them in their hands or running on them.... I believe they are not poisenous, but when they want, they do give a nasty bite. They say that the secret is not to make too sudden a move with them. If you are casual in your moves, they are fine with you. I HAVE NOT TRIED IT THOUGH :smileinbox:

God bless
Peter

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys and gals, check out this python caught in an electric fence..... ouch that must of been a bit sore :-[ Not sure where the pic was taken.

Python in electric fence.jpg

God bless
Peter

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peter,

Like before, fascinating pictures. I always hear people say the only good snake is a dead snake. Unfortunately we all know they have a use in nature, at least in their natural environment. Still some are scary but yet interesting, kind of a double edged sword.

The black snake is a very fast, non poisonous variety. They are a very common snake in Florida. There are smaller black ones that have a red and yellow ring around the neck that we pick up all the time. I've included a picture for your viewing pleasure. :D My wife was flipping out because I was holding it and doesn't want my son to see me picking up such things; but she took the picture.

Tarantulas, from what I saw on National Geographic Channel, are mostly non poisonous. There are a few varieties in South America that are poisonous (at least that's what they said). The one I have in the picture is just an aggressive variety, from what I've heard. I know back in Florida they used to sell certain varieties as pets. I will touch a snake, but forget a spider, yuck.

The python, alligator, and everglades story is a sad case because it shows what happends when one species is introduced into an environment that it doesn't belong to.

Happy Easter to all.

Attachments

• red ring black snake.jpg
    red ring black snake.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 2,291

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a nice looking snake, I love snakes, but just do not know the varieties well enough to handle them. Especially here in South Africa, we have some real nasties, but like you say it is a double edged sword, because I love them all the same.
At my work, we get quite a number of them (lots of grass and small bush areas), the blacks here eat them, so even a poisonous snake is a meal to them. They say snake tastes like chicken, I take there word for it, I will not be eating one :tongue3:

Here is an article that was in our local paper about 1 Months ago........

Snake goes along for 170km ride
03/03/2009 22:48 - (SA)

Virginia Keppler, Beeld

Pretoria - The guardian angels of a Pretoria man "were working overtime" as he and his wife drove 170km with a dangerous Mozambique spitting cobra in their car.
Gordon Parratt, 69, remained calm while the undesirable 85cm-long passenger wound itself around his leg on several occasions.
He and his 65-year-old wife, Ilda, of Moreleta Park east of Pretoria, left the Biyamiti rest camp in the Kruger National Park on Friday.
After several kilometres Gordon felt something like an insect brush against his leg and foot and wiped it away.
As he was doing so again, he looked down and saw a snake next to his left foot. It looked like a Mozambique spitting cobra.
Although he was rattled, he remained calm and told his wife they had a "passenger".
"Fortunately I'm not the panicky type. My wife immediately put her feet up on the dashboard."
Thought car would be stolen
In Hazyview they stopped at a taxi rank but "I didn't want to get out there and leave my car because I was scared it would be stolen".
The couple then drove to the reptile park in Hazyview. They removed "everything that could move" from the car, but couldn't find the snake.
Ilda said the staff wanted them to leave the car and arrange other transport home, but her husband wouldn't have it.
An official at the reptile park gave them two rolls of stretch plaster.
If the snake should strike, they could use it to make a tourniquet to prevent the poison from spreading.
"I also asked them to alert all the medical centres along the way so that I could stop there, if need be," Gordon said.
Later on he once again noticed the snake near his foot. At that point he couldn't stop because they were in a pass.
Snake winds up leg in heavy traffic
"At Sabie we stopped, but couldn't find the snake.
"About 15km from Lydenburg the snake wound itself around my left leg and ankle. Its head came up to my knee.
"The traffic was heavy and it was raining hard, but I kept calm," he said.
Just before Lydenburg the couple stopped and enquired about a snake expert. Hein Geldenhuys, 49, was called.
After dropping his wife off at a guesthouse, Gordon drove to Geldenhuys's house.
Geldenhuys caught the cobra. "All you could see was venom flying," Gordon said.
Geldenhuys said a snake in a car is a nightmare. "Fortunately I managed to catch the snake without injuring it."
He was surprised to see "how calm the oom was".
He said these snakes are very dangerous because their venom attacks the nervous system and the body's soft tissues.
"The oom was very lucky. The Lord protected him and his guardian angels were definitely working overtime."

Makes you wonder ..... I would of died if that happened to me ;D

God bless
Peter

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
molly,a good snake has round pupils like ours, a bad one has ones like a cat narrow like,imo. jamey

OP
OP
*Molly*

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peter, I just don't know how that guy kept his cool, for one, I wouldn't have even got back in the car, if it wasn't found.. Just imagine having a spitting Cobra looking up at you from your knees :-\

Jamey, I will remember that. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Thanks friends..

Molly. :)

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt I will ever be hurt by a snake but a snake could cause me to hurt myself very easily. My Mom was bitten by a copper head when she was 10. She lived and didn't go crazy until 70 years later when she contracted Alzheimer's Disease. So I guess there is some truth in the myth that if you survive a copper head bite you will go crazy! Many of us won't live to be 80 to find out though. Monty

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Monty there might be some truth to that saying...also with other poisonous snakes. My grandmother was bit on the leg by a water moccasin when she was teenager. She was fishing in a lake and they were all wading about waist deep. She later ended up with that damn Alzheimer's disease also. She was always a little crazy through life, but in a good way. :)

My grandmother's sister was bitten back in the 1960's by a 6 foot Eastern Diamondback Rattle snake. She got hit by a full charge of venom. My grandfather told me that after she was sent home from the hospital she lived with them for one year while she recuperated. He said the smell of rotting flesh was horrible. I remember seeing the huge scar that ran from her ankle all the way to her knee. She told my brother and I about a girl that lost her arm because she was bit by a rattle snake trying to get a Gopher Tortoise out of it's hole. It kept my brother and I from ever sticking our hands in Gopher holes. My great aunt later died from natural causes so maybe the crazyness skips a few, well then again....

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty, that's evil to talk about your mama that way! (ha-ha!) But yeah there's stories about Copperhead venom making folks crazy. They hardly ever kill anyone from the bite, and they're very bad about using a dry strike as a warning. I like Peter's snake pictures. A lot of my employees are from Senegal. They appreciate the fact that there's hardly any snakes here in Summit Co., Colorado. As to the pupils of the snake, the Texas night snake also has the 'Cats-eye' pupil. They are very mildly venomous, and they are a rear-fanged snake. If my son can catch one, I'll post some pictures. Here's an Eastern Hognose he found in the Oklahoma panhandle.

Attachments

• eastern hognose.jpg
    eastern hognose.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 2,204

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions