Snakes..

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have time on my hands so I thought I would post a few pics. Although snakes facinate me, I have the sense to give them a wide birth. A friend of mine caught these, so I didn't hesitate to take pics, close ups too. The Copperhead was in a transparent tub, giving me chance to get a good close up. He was disturbed from sleep, so he was a little disoriantated, this is the best time to handle snakes.
The Blacksnakes are very popular here in NC. We had 5 under the house. We used "Snakeaway" which is moth balls, to flush them out. The Snakeaway suffocates them, so they move on out. As i said there were 5 all around 5 ft in length.
I have seen cottonmouths but, wouldn't even attempt bothering those, they can plunge at you from quite a distance. :-\

I was bent down looking in the creek, to find a baby cottonmouth about 2 ft away from my face, he was leaning on a branch over the creek. He looked at me wide mouthed & just dropped off in the creek. I wasn't to worried about this ft long critter, I was more concerned where his moma was. I got the hell outta there. :D

I find snakes only really come after you if you are near their babies. Most I find just want to get away. I take all snakes down to the graveyard. I never kill any. They don't bother me, I don't bother them.

Molly. :)

Attachments

• Black snake.3.jpg
    Black snake.3.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 3,327
  • 300.jpg
    300.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 3,417
OP
OP
*Molly*

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Few more..

Attachments

• Black snake..300ress.jpg
    Black snake..300ress.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 3,363
  • COPPERHEAD VIPER 300.jpg
    COPPERHEAD VIPER 300.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 3,281
  • COPPERHEAD%20SNAKE%201A.jpg
    COPPERHEAD%20SNAKE%201A.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 3,319
  • Bs 1b.JPG
    Bs 1b.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 3,202

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not too familiar with the potency of Cottonmouth venom but, I had a friend that was bitten by a rattler. The rattler wasn't much bigger than a standard nightcrawler but yet, he spent 3 days in the hospital and nearly lost some fingers. He was sore and discolored from his fingertips to his groin area. I'd be worried about any poisonous snake and, if bitten, treat it like you were bit by a monster.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Molly, you know my fear of snakes. I do have to admire you for being brave to even take a picture of em. Cotton mouths are very aggressive...I was chased by one, something I will never, never forget. I'm just lucky I was not bitten.

:wink: RR

OP
OP
*Molly*

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker said:
I'm not too familiar with the potency of Cottonmouth venom but, I had a friend that was bitten by a rattler. The rattler wasn't much bigger than a standard nightcrawler but yet, he spent 3 days in the hospital and nearly lost some fingers. He was sore and discolored from his fingertips to his groin area. I'd be worried about any poisonous snake and, if bitten, treat it like you were bit by a monster.

Cottonmouths are lethal. I have a friend that was bit by one, he was also allergic to the anti venom. He nearly died. Not snakes one wants to mess with.

Sorry Judie, I didn't know you didn't like snakes. No doubt I would feel the same, if i was bitten. I try to be cautious out in the woods & near creeks.

Thanks for posting friends.

Molly.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool pics Molly. I'm no expert; my son is. Copperheads and Cottonmouths are related. When they're born the tip of their tail is bright green. Maybe they use this as a lure to attract food? I have no problem with either as long as they're there, and I'm here. On the other hand, my son went down to Texas and put radio transmitters in moccasins and waded around in the swamp to see where they were. Education is a dangerous job, if you want it to be I reckon. Good photos.

OP
OP
*Molly*

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"waded around in the swamp" :o OH NO I draw the line, there is NO way I would even consider wading a swamp, no matter how many arrowheads were in there.. ::) :D

Anyone have snake pics, feel free to post them.

Thanks for comments friends. :thumbsup:

Molly. :)

spawn00x

Jan 25, 2009
El Paso Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70
Last october

Attachments

• my little friend ssss.jpg
    my little friend ssss.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 3,261
  • my little friend ssss.jpg
    my little friend ssss.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 3,166
OP
OP
*Molly*

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a great pic spawn. Are rattlers eyes THAT blue?
Looks like he was fed & resting. Best time to get pics of them I find.

Thanks for posting, great pic.

Molly.

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been chased by a Cotton Mouth myself almost dropped my pole NOT I just kept reeling in my line while backin up very quickly, with it in hot pursuit, made it back to the bridge and the thing was still commin after me everybody moved to the cars and more started comming up on the bridge we tossed the gear in the trunk and just made it in the cars before they got to us! Next time we did not go back to that spot of an evening!

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Molly, know the feeling about a face to face encounter with a copperhead. Was trying to retrieve a trot line that a flood had entangled under a makeshift concrete boat dock. Leaned under to see where it was caught, face was about a foot from a big (to my eyes-I was about 12 at the time), although it was probably a bit over 2' as it was coiled and resting. I just jumped up and ran. To this day, that trot line is still there or it's remnants. :wink:

OP
OP
*Molly*

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some great stories, thanks friends.

I have a friend in Australia, her cats catch snakes & plays with them until they are dead. Every morning she wakes up to find LOTS of dead snakes on her kitchen floor. Gotta love tose cats.

I also have a friend that was literally chased by a cottonmouth, those snakes Just don't give up. I wouldn't like to be in that possition, I'm afraid if one chase me I would have to kick its ass..lol.

Molly.

spawn00x

Jan 25, 2009
El Paso Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70
His were.

Molly said:
Thats a great pic spawn. Are rattlers eyes THAT blue?
Looks like he was fed & resting. Best time to get pics of them I find.

Thanks for posting, great pic.

Molly.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Copperheads won't kill you that quick. You can wait a long time before seeking medical help, but you'll wish you were dead and will probably lose a limb. One story we heard about Copperhead bites is that they somehow affect the nervous system and the survivors become crazy. The Slagell's had a cow that got bit and survived a few years back and after that she would chase people. They penned her up and she would pace and charge the fence all day long. Supposedly it would affect people the same way. In Oklahoma, many people confuse the non-venomous brown water snake for the water moccasin. True venomous water moccasins are not nearly as wide spread in the state as you might think from the stories. However, those water snakes are aggressive and extremely territorial. They don't like anybody in their area and will swim across the pond to come after you. From personal experience, they bite hard and hang on like a bulldog.

OP
OP
*Molly*

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OUCH !!!!

I guess it pays to be able to ID snakes. Do ya'll think snakes could penetrate rubber wellingtons?

Molly.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
how big was that copperhead? It looked huge, & they don't grow to great lengths. cottonmouths- - don't let babies fool you, their venom is supposed to be as potent as adults. and cottonmouths are easy to upset & strike with less provocation than most snakes. snake boots are good, but some snakes just love to hang out in trees.

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool pictures. Here is one to add to the thread.

It is a Florida Mangrove Snake. For those that don't know they live in areas where there is salt water. I saw this baby when I went with my son's class on a field trip to a park along the Gulf of Mexico near Tarpon Springs, Florida. They are nonpoisonous. So if you treasure hunt in the water don't worry. ;D

Attachments

• IMG_0183 Large e-mail view.jpg
    IMG_0183 Large e-mail view.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 3,049

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread