Fungi/Mushrooms.

Muddy Feet

Feb 13, 2009
MN
Can't beat Morels fried in butter. My kids thought they were disgusting looking too until I made them each try a bite, now I can't find enough to feed us all.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 241
OP
OP
*Molly*

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thirty7 said:
Molly, they're strange looking but are a gourmet delicacy, some restaurants pay BIG bucks for them.

Muddy Feet said:
Can't beat Morels fried in butter. My kids thought they were disgusting looking too until I made them each try a bite, now I can't find enough to feed us all.

I will look out for them, in the future. I might risk tasting one then. i do like mushrooms..
Thanks for posting guys.

Molly.

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR
Hey Molly and others. I to am a photographer and i love taking stills of mushrooms! Esp. Morels, we call them dry land fish around here, but they are a beautiful mushroom you can eat....i found around a pd last week, seems to be the start of a great season for Morels....here they are, a beautiful fungi........... :thumbsup: :coffee2:

Attachments

• grey ghost.JPG
    grey ghost.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 267
  • grey ghost.JPG
    grey ghost.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 259
  • MINE hike 010.JPG
    MINE hike 010.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 276
  • MINE hike 013.JPG
    MINE hike 013.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 264
  • MINE hike 019.JPG
    MINE hike 019.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 255

biggvinn2000

Greenie
Mar 23, 2009
I love the pics of all the shrooms, they are wonderful. And the morels are such great eating cant wait to pick em soon

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
really nice pics KI, I found some morel sprouts today, to early to harvest though, hope they're still around in a couple of days.

OP
OP
*Molly*

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I fry up the wild mushrooms, I enjoy the large ones best, well I eat the stems too. Do ya'll cook the stems on the morals too?
I haven't seen an around here though. 37, so they are coming out this time of year? I always thought mushrooms come out september.

Molly.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
hey Molly, yeah the stems are edible, the entire mushroom is. Some like to cut em in half lengthwise and saute in butter. I like to serve and eat them whole either fried with flour or crushed crackers( saltines) in butter and salt and pepper. A good rule of thumb imo is to look for them in ealy spring when the buds and leaves start to bloom. You can find them in wooded areas next to old poplar, ash, elm, and sometimes pines. Once you find some, remeber that spot because they'll be there every year. I think they only grow till around mid june in our area, so the window of harvest is pretty short. If you like mushrooms you'll love morels, trust me. There's a good site on morels, I'll try and find it and link it here.

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the photo comments 37..... the Morels are sprouting ive waited all year for these short few weeks. Morels only show themselves 4-5 weeks in the entire year, so theres not to much time to find them. The morel web site i go to is http://www.thegreatmorel.com or http://www.thegreatmoral.com/faq.html for all questions about these wonderful mushrooms. Hope this helps, theres other great sites on Morels as well. About cooking these mushrooms, 37 cooks his the way i do, yum yum.....

OPUS1

Jan 23, 2009
So. Cal
Detector(s) used
BH QD II,Minelab GPX 4500 PULSE GOLD PROSPECTING DETECTOR,Garrett Infinium LS Pulse Metal Detector
A meditating snack before I venture into the woods with my MD. :tongue7: :tongue7:

Attachments

• As my soul reaches out.jpg
    As my soul reaches out.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 192
  • Philosophy is in the eye of the beholder.jpg
    Philosophy is in the eye of the beholder.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 220
OP
OP
*Molly*

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thankyou for the links KI & recipes 37. I will look out for the morals, hopefully find a few n cook them up.

Great pics everyone. Thankyou.

Molly.

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
Your very welcome molly, I went and found me another mess of Morels today. I tried to find a paper that had todays date but the only one i could find was this one from Monday, good enough i guess.... This is the best way to put a date with the mushrooms, besides the date on the camera, which i dont like to use while taking pictures of morels....Thought i would share these with you guys thanks -Ki-

Attachments

• MINE hike 021.JPG
    MINE hike 021.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 199
  • MINE hike 023.JPG
    MINE hike 023.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 204

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Nice haul KI, looks like you got some blacks and yellows. * There is a false morel, and it has toxins, it's very similiar to the great morel in shape, although they are usually larger and have an orange, reddish color, always be 100% sure before consuming.

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
Very good point Thirty 7, :thumbsup: those can really fool someone who has not had much experince hunting Morels, got to be very weary of those mushrooms..... I dont have any pictures of the false morel, probaly would be a great idea to find and post one, if someone could find or may have one. We dont want anyone eating anything that will hurt them.... -Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
Hey Molly, thrity7, and others thought i would tell you guys the Morels are up good here in Ky now... I found a little over a pound yesterday, and today found 3 pound.... getting ready to fix me a plate,,,,,,, yum yum....
first pic is from friday, 2nd pic is from today...... thought id share -Ki-

Attachments

• morels & CC times.JPG
    morels & CC times.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 180
  • MINE hike 056.JPG
    MINE hike 056.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 164

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Muddy Feet said:
Just found a panful on April 10; Yum!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread