Smallmouth bass

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
I got into the smallies today, the bite was pretty much nonstop all mornin, caught plenty of sunfish, and rockbass too. These two were the best fish of the day, they're both between 4 - 5 lbs imo. These two were fat with eggs, so I took some quick pics and released these girls.

10ff3ab752.jpg

cd2e005384.jpg

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI
Nice catch, These fish look to be pretty strong fighters, are they? Are bass good eating?

Sasnz

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I went out last evening, & was stunned at the feeding frenzy!! looked like sharks out there after my bait, the bobber & the line! I've never seen the action so fierce & instant! Most were small, none as big as yours, & I released all mine too. If they would have been crappie, I woulda had fish for dinner. I was lazy pulled my truck right up to the lake & fished right out of the back!! (bad knee dictates restricted movement) but let me tell ya, the sun was shining, the breeze was light, the horses were talkin to me & the geese & wood ducks were on parade. I thought I had died & gone to heaven.

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
hello sasnz, smallmouth bass are ferocious fighters, definately the best fighters in my area. You know when you've got a smallie on, they come out of the water often. They aren't that tasty imo, kind of bland, with a muddy flavor, if prepared and marinated with herbs, butter, and pepper they are decent table fare. thanks for the comments.

hey mamabear, glad to hear they're hitting over your way. Sounds like you have some good fishing access, that's always nice. My favorite freshwater fish to eat is by far crappie, love em, fried, baked, grilled, the flavor is hard to beat. Find any points lately?

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
my mouth is waterin!! No points, but I have been going to THE spot as often as I can. Am working my way up above where I found flakes, so I hope I'll find some soon. Think I better go dig some worms now!!

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics, good eating too. I prefer fish to red meat.

Molly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions