Mi-Wok (CA) Indians

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very near the Collierville Power site, on Clark Flat, was an old Mi-Wok village. It must have been very large. Judy and I found at least 44 of these "grain grinding" holes in the bedrock, in a small area, at the Stanislaus River. There may be more. The site is less than a mile from the house.... straight down the mountain... as evidenced by the second pic, of me, almost to the site. We will be exploring more. TTC

Attachments

• IMG_1235.jpg
    IMG_1235.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_0696.jpg
    IMG_0696.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 470

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing, I had heard about one place called (Grinding Rock State Park) is that in your area?
Also Beautiful place for exploring. :thumbsup:

Fossis...................

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
fossis said:
Thanks for sharing, I had heard about one place called (Grinding Rock State Park) is that in your area?
Also Beautiful place for exploring. :thumbsup:

Fossis...................

This is not the state park you talk of. I've not been there. This site probably included the area now taken up by the power plant and the raceway. TTC

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
cup-marked stones!

A great way to eliminate unhealthy energies. usually found in clusters.

I bet there's a stream underneath or nearby that leads to a river.

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
plehbah said:
vibes said:
cup-marked stones!

A great way to eliminate unhealthy energies. usually found in clusters.

I bet there's a stream underneath or nearby that leads to a river.

Yes!

Ignore the science and twirl!

Wheeeeee!

Consequences be damned!

wow. Why is it that so many of you on this site are so f'in nasty to me? Again, wow. If you desire the science all you had to say was please.

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Hi, Terry, Interesting looking holes in the rock, there.They must have had a rough job getting those holes
in that rock. I would like to see how they did it. Nice looking area around there. Probably a good variety
of wildlife, too, I'll bet.
Thanks for sharing
Ray

Likely Guy

Actually I think that those 'grain grinding' holes are a natural occuring phenomenon. When washed down by water a harder stone would settle into a natural depression and the continued grinding motion would form the hole. As one stone wore out another would fall in and replace it, and the process would continue.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
karenray08 said:
Hi, Terry, Interesting looking holes in the rock, there.They must have had a rough job getting those holes
in that rock. I would like to see how they did it. Nice looking area around there. Probably a good variety
of wildlife, too, I'll bet.
Thanks for sharing
Ray

Those holes were worn into the rock for the purpose of grinding foods such as acorns and grains for the tribes consumpsion. A grinding stone was pounded onto the foodstuff. We found 44 but I'm sure there are more. This village may have occupied this site for hundreds of years. TTC

Likely Guy

TerryC wrote: "Those holes were worn into the rock for the purpose of grinding foods such as acorns and grains for the tribes consumpsion. A grinding stone was pounded onto the foodstuff. We found 44 but I'm sure there are more. This village may have occupied this site for hundreds of years. TTC"

We have those same holes, the pipes may extend five or six feet and sometimes burrow their way through a boulder. The area you speak of, exists below a dam?

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Likely Guy said:
TerryC wrote: "Those holes were worn into the rock for the purpose of grinding foods such as acorns and grains for the tribes consumpsion. A grinding stone was pounded onto the foodstuff. We found 44 but I'm sure there are more. This village may have occupied this site for hundreds of years. TTC"

We have those same holes, the pipes may extend five or six feet and sometimes burrow their way through a boulder. The area you speak of, exists below a dam?

These are not pipes... or "holes". Most are less than 8" deep. If a bunch are found together, a large shallow "bowl" appears with them, also formed into the rock. The village is (was) located on a flat plateau above the river. No dams or evidence of contemporary blasting to form them. The "holes" are well documented in publications of the area indians. TTC

Likely Guy

TerryC said:
Likely Guy said:

These are not pipes... or "holes". Most are less than 8" deep. If a bunch are found together, a large shallow "bowl" appears with them, also formed into the rock. The village is (was) located on a flat plateau above the river. No dams or evidence of contemporary blasting to form them. The "holes" are well documented in publications of the area indians. TTC

I'd be most interested to have a 'link' to that info. When I can get there (because of snow), I'd like to post some photos of ours. Like you said "Most are less than 8" deep. If a bunch are found together, a large shallow "bowl" appears with them, also formed into the rock." It all sounds/seems to be the same.

All the best to you.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Likely Guy said:
TerryC said:
Likely Guy said:

I'd be most interested to have a 'link' to that info. When I can get there (because of snow), I'd like to post some photos of ours. Like you said "Most are less than 8" deep. If a bunch are found together, a large shallow "bowl" appears with them, also formed into the rock." It all sounds/seems to be the same.

All the best to you.

Hi Guy,
The first pic shows a publication (I have) about the indians, first written in 1922. The second pic describes the site of an indian village, including "mortar" built into the rock, like the ones here. Google up MIWOK, MI-WUK, and other spellings for an abundance of info. Thanks... TTC

Attachments

• IMG_1371.jpg
    IMG_1371.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_1373.jpg
    IMG_1373.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 327
OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a pic, from the above publication, showing a portable mortar. The second pic is of a mortar Judy's dad found on the property about 50 years ago. Virtually identical! Judy THOUGHT the item was from the indians... the pic confirmed it! TTC

Attachments

• IMG_1375.jpg
    IMG_1375.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_1374.jpg
    IMG_1374.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 326

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually Terry, the one her dad found was the first ashtray I made in pottery class. I was so ashamed of the final product I tossed it out on that ol' piece of property thinking it would never be found.............................. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread