fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By special request from (RGINN) here is a pic of 'Polk Weed', also called poke, pokebush, poke berry, poke root & Ink Berry, (berry's have purple juice), the poke leaves are boiled three times, (Some authorities say that is not enough to remove toxins), then can be eaten with a little oil, & scrambled eggs, or however you like them, the result is called (Poke salit or salad), I personally can't eat it, it gives me 'Montuzema's Revenge'. ;D
It tastes somewhat like spinach to me.

Fossis................

Attachments

• Pole Salad 001.JPG
    Pole Salad 001.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 357

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Where did the third fella bury the first two fellas - after he figured out it needed boiling three times before it was safe. :tard:

The guy who figured out Iceburg Lettuce was way smarter. :thumbsup:

Nice pic fossis... I learned something today - interesting!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that stuff is great. I am trying to think of the purple berries one,,,, is it not a type of sumac and poisonous? Or am I thinking of something else. Yeah I love the greens they are so healthy. Alway plant the mustard in the fields in the fall. With corn bread lol life is grand...... what a cool post to show!!! Thanks.
TnMountains

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, good post. How about one of sassafras? It must be that time by now.

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana Jim said:
Where did the third fella bury the first two fellas - after he figured out it needed boiling three times before it was safe. :tard:

LOL, someone must have 'survived' with a bad case of 'the runs' to pass it along to other folks. :thumbsup:

Fossis..............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TnMountains said:
that stuff is great. I am trying to think of the purple berries one,,,, is it not a type of sumac and poisonous? Or am I thinking of something else. Yeah I love the greens they are so healthy. Alway plant the mustard in the fields in the fall. With corn bread lol life is grand...... what a cool post to show!!! Thanks.
TnMountains

Thanks, the 'purple berries' show up in the fall when the plant's that don't get eaten survive & mature.
I used to make 'war paint' for the Grandkids with it, we make a drink (tastes like lemonade) from our sumac seeds, (non poisonous type).

Fossis..........

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jimb said:
Yes, good post. How about one of sassafras? It must be that time by now.

I will post one tonight, I just dug some roots (to make tea), for two people. :thumbsup:

Fossis..............

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much bud, that's it. We didn't cut it that tall. When it was just coming up we would cut it from just sprouting to about 5 or 6 inches. We only double boiled it, and we did alright. (Tony Joe White just keeps popping up here.) Poke is a diuretic, which increases the excretion of water from the body. Sometimes we would cook it with eggs. We always cooked it with onions, usually wild onions. We would also can it, as it cans just like any other greens. Those plants can get up to about 5 or 6 feet tall, and don't eat the berries, as they're poisonous. I've seen birds eat them with no problem. If you dig up a poke weed, you'll find a tuber like potato shaped thing on the root. Take that and put it in a fruit jar with water and let it soak. If you get poison ivy, put that water on it and it will kill the rash. Thanks for that pic, bud, and I hope lots of folks see this post. You didn't buy a whole lot of store bought stuff at 75 cents an hour labor or 2 cents a pound cotton. We had to live off what we could grow or what we could find in the woods, and that knowledge just may come in helpful to this generation, the way things are going.

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, lots of folks had to 'get by' with what they could grow, gather, or hunt.
That's good to know about the 'poison Ivy' cure.

fossis..............

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks about the tips I will make sure when out detecting look for poke and get the tubber so if we get into poison ivy we'll have something to put on it later! :icon_sunny:

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana Jim said:

Laughing out loud...haha...

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
I'm with fossis. I ate alot of that when I was younger, can't anymore. It was good, though.

Not the original, but the more famous version:

[youtube=425,350]9d_LCGalZ1I[/youtube]

DM

olegoat

Oct 18, 2007
southeast tn
Detector(s) used
fisher 1220x,gc-1023,tesoro tejon , fisher f-2, compass yukon 77b, tesoro bandito 11 umax
cant stand that stuff, and a skunk smells good to that stuff cooking,--- :o

tn mt are you thinking about elderberry,,, with the purple berries????

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
The leaves of the plant when young are the best, it's said the berries & roots can be
poisonous. I know close to the fall season ringneck pheasants like the berries.

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to pull up ginseng, yellow, and blood root. I've also brewed a nice boiling pot of sassy frassy tea. All of these "roots" of mine come from OHIO.

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sniffy said:
I used to pull up ginseng, yellow, and blood root. I've also brewed a nice boiling pot of sassy frassy tea. All of these "roots" of mine come from OHIO.

Thanks for all the replies, I like the 'Sasafrass tea' also.

Fossis.....................

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
Poke berries also make a good clothes dye, I just cant' recall offhand what is used
to set the color to make it permanent, I thinks it was cold salt water. ?

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TC I think your right but not for sure! :icon_sunny: Before doing it I 'd just to make sure I am thinking great project for the grandkids!

T

trish76642

Where did the third fella bury the first two fellas - after he figured out it needed boiling three times before it was safe.

lol jim!

I remember being a kid and the lil lady next door to us would eat that stuff and i couldnt for the life of me remember what it looked like after growing up.

I think i'd rather mowe it than go through the trouble of cooking it. I remember it tasting good though.

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digginman, I never saw Elvis so wild! I do miss him though. Still the King!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread