Unbelievable

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
I had taken the pups outside on the front porch the other day and noticed something strange sticking out from under the gas grill lid. I went back inside and got my camera and took these pics.

This has got to be the BIGGEST Robin's nest I have ever seen!!! The first time I opened the lid, there was only one egg in the nest. Now there are 5.

Doesn't look like we'll be using this grill anytime soon LoL ;D

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Not much room left in there for the babies to grow when the eggs hatch! But they will definitely stay nice & warm and very safe from predators.

OP
OP
TeddyB1967

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
Thanks Jim. Those grills are great. We had this one for a few years as you can tell. It's been used hard ;D This just gives me a reason to go buy a new one now LoL

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had wrens build in the motor area of my truck, had to evict them sadly. :'(

Fossis................

Muddy Feet

Feb 13, 2009
MN
That's crazy, I've never seen a robin nest that big. They're lucky they picked your grill, most people would have thrown them out. You'll have to post more pics when they hatch.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm having that same problem, but with Carolina wrens...will be posting about it in a few.

Seems the robins have all kinds of things to make their nest from. Might find something you're missing, so when you clean it out...check it good. Thank goodness the robins leave here when warmer weather arrives.

:wink: RR

leep33

Dec 30, 2006
Michigan, U.S.A.
I'm not trying to pee on the parade but birds can carry disease carrying mites so you might want to clean that baby off really good when they finally leave or toss it to the curb.

OP
OP
TeddyB1967

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
I'll save the balut just for you plehbah ;D It's all your's! :thumbsup:

I don't intend on using that grill. It was supposed to go to the dump end of last summer, but it didnt make it and now I'd rather leave it until the Robin's move out :wink:

I have about 5 nests all around my yard, including this one. But this one has got to be the largest ever. There are now 6 eggs in there. Hopefully they all hatch. I had a good time last year photgraphing a nest until the babies learned to fly.

RiverRat, I really hope I'm not missing anything cause there is a bunch of crazy stuff in that nest. Pine needles, twigs, black plastic from the flower beds, clear plastic wrappers, pink ribbon, gum wrappers and what looks like dried out moss?

Now I think I have figured out what's been in the garbage cans :icon_scratch: LoL I'll update with pics as time goes on.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Pretty smart mom, I would say..She and her babies are covered from the rain, they will be relatively warm, and who would think to look for them in a gas grill. That is a rather large nest. Could it be more then one nest, maybe a cluster of nests??? just a guess.

OP
OP
TeddyB1967

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
Hi Ron, I'm pretty sure it's just one nest. I look in on them (opening the lid) about once a day and there are 6 eggs. They are all together in the front. I'll try tomorrow to get a good shot of the whole nest looking down on it. It seems to be all flat around the sides and back of the grill and piled higher in front that's scooped out where the eggs are.

I watched her off and on today, she didnt come out too much since it's chilly and rainy. I would have thought with the rain, she'd be out diggin up dinner all day lol.

I gotta be careful with opening the lid though cause the eggs are "right there" at the edge and i'm afraid they will fall out. So far I've been lucky and hadn't had any fall yet but she moves them around so much, ya just never know where they will be next :wink:

OP
OP
TeddyB1967

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
crazyjarhead said:
Robins generally have 4 offspring, but you say 6?? Is it a Robin??

Yea. I'm sure. she's a big one too. I'll try to get a pic of her. I think she's the same one that nested in the bush in front of the porch last year.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Hey Teddy,
Great pics! Thanks for posting!!!

Gosh, if you weren't all the way in PA I'd give you one of my spare BBQ's so you wouldn't miss out!

Sry, they're just not worth driving over to pick one up...Ha! Ha!

Have fun with your new critters!
rmptr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread