Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TeddyB1967 said:
Wow, beautiful pics. They are "Calendar Shots" :thumbsup:
Thank you TeddyB1967! We have made up calendars with these and given to friends/family.
We're glad you liked them!
kind regards~~sandcreek4
ivan salis said:
must not shot those deer :wink: -- nice buncha deer --keep feeding em you'll get some monster shed wall hanger racks
Thanks ivan salis! We enjoy watching and feeding them!
regards~~sandcreek4
txkickergirl said:
I think it needs to be said that what you are doing is a wonderful thing.

Many people love to hunt, I being one of them. Not many understand the concept of giving back though. Sure they will feed through hunting season to draw them in, but what about the rest of the time. Yes it can become expensive, but I have been on a few high game fence ranches that after hunting season the deer are a sad poor looking lot. They stop the feed and with only so many acres to cover and not much food, they suffer, starve, and are a mangy looking lot, it breaks my heart. Feeding year around not only keeps the deer in non game fenced areas, it keeps them prime, and makes excellent breeding stock, especially if you know how to cull them. You already have some really nice bucks to work with, I would say in another 3-5 years that herd could seriously pay for itself if you continue to manage them. Either way what you are doing is a great thing and I wish more folks would follow your example and take what they need to for meat, enjoy the majestic site of the rest, and work to preserve them by feeding them. Just watch out for cats, they tend to show up where the food source is, and they can really mess things up for you.
txkickergirl~~thank you for all your kind words and I'm glad you understand what we are doing.
We usually feed these deer from October after the first frost until March when the green grass starts coming on. That way they have lots of nutrition through the "hard winter months". We've noticed on the years where there's lots of forage(acorns, ect.) we don't have as many deer come in to feed. But a couple of years ago, it had been really dry and the deer stayed close around the house as what we were feeding was the main source of food. That year we had close to 100 deer! And about 1/2 of those were BUCKS! We also have a couple of ponds and a small creek close to our house, so they didn't need to go far for water, either.
It has been a great learning experience for us! We've seen everything from bucks fighting, does boxing, bucks making scrapes and rubs, bucks chasing does, hearing bucks "grunt" or "roar" and lots more. We even saw a baby(without spots) acting crazy--it would run in circles and put its nose down on the ground with its behind in the air, jump and kick up its heels, run through the rest of the herd to scare them, and then just flop down on the ground like it was all worn out :D. It was HILARIOUS! We called it the "crazy baby" and it acted that way for about a week and really entertained us!
Hopefully by all the protein and nutrition we are giving these things , it will help them be a very healthy deer herd! The first year we fed, we had lots of sickly looking does and the bucks were all one horns and small horns. This year, you can tell by the pictures they are very healthy!
Glad everyone is enjoying these pictures!
kind regards~~sandcreek4

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
plehbah said:
Many good things to eat in this spread.

Very toothsome subject matter.
plehbah--all those "good things to eat" have made a MAJOR difference in the health of the deer and in the horn growth of the bucks. Its amazing what a little protein will do.
Glad you enjoyed the "subject matter" :thumbsup:.
Regards~~sandcreek

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
buckshot said:
Some of those bucks have some really nice racks. Great pics. Thanks...
Thanks, buckshot! Hopefully they'll keep getting BIGGER ;D.
regards~~sandcreek4

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Molly said:
Loved the pic's. Excellent. Thankyou.

Molly.
Thanks Molly! We are going to start feeding again probably late Sept/early Oct. so we'll see if some of our "regulars" come back. Back in the spring, we found all kinds of sheds(antlers) near the house and can match them up with the bucks that were coming to the feedline. It was pretty cool to have their horns as well as their pictures! We've got the sheds of the buck in pic #6(from top) and the sheds from the buck with his nose curled up(smelling a doe). I hope those two bucks come back this year--we'll see what the nutrition [that we gave them ] does for their horn growth.
Thanks for the comments and glad you liked the pictures!
kind regards~~sandcreek

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MEinWV said:
Love the pics!

Whitetails are my favorite "fast food"
We like "fast food" too MEinWV! My husband and daughter hunt and we love the taste of fresh venison.
I think we enjoy "shooting" them with a camera more than anything, though! My daughter has over 1500 deer pictures and taking more everyday.
regards~~sandcreek

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
I love taking pics of them and just watching them as they go about their lives. Here is a doe I saw the other day as I was heading out the lane. At first I didn't notice but she was actually feeding her fawn when I snapped the pic. Then she jumped and up popped the little guy! That was cool!

Attachments

• momma.JPG
    momma.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 315
  • baby.JPG
    baby.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 306
OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MEinWV said:
I love taking pics of them and just watching them as they go about their lives. Here is a doe I saw the other day as I was heading out the lane. At first I didn't notice but she was actually feeding her fawn when I snapped the pic. Then she jumped and up popped the little guy! That was cool!
We've got a doe that stays by our house. She slips out of the woods late in the evening and feeds in a meadow and every once in a while you'll see a baby following her.
I wish we could afford to feed these things all year long, but it gets kinda expensive. So, we just try to feed them during the hard winter months and enjoy them during that time. They are so fun to watch!
That's a GREAT pic of the doe and baby, MEinWV!
regards~~sandcreek

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: awsome pics

#1 congrats for raising such a smart daughter an hunter , WTG

#2 even tho I'm a life long hunter I can still sit for hours just watching wildlife an your herd is awsome

#3 thanks for sharing with us an dont be afraid to post more of these .

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tank69 said:
:icon_thumright: awsome pics

#1 congrats for raising such a smart daughter an hunter , WTG

#2 even tho I'm a life long hunter I can still sit for hours just watching wildlife an your herd is awsome

#3 thanks for sharing with us an dont be afraid to post more of these .
Thank you for the kind words, Tank69!
Here's another shot of a buck that was a regular. We named him Elliot and he'e been coming in to feed since 2007. He thinks he pretty bad with his one horn ;D. If you'll notice on the 2007 pic he has a knot on the left side of his head that makes that horn grow funny. Last year when he came in, he still had part of that horn from the year before. We got the biggest kick out of this buck--he wasn't afraid to bow up to any of the bigger bucks. Wouldn't it be cool if he came back this year with a big non-typical rack?!? Here's a side by side collage of Elliot.
Thanks so much for looking and all the kind comments everybody!!
regards~~sandcreek

Attachments

• Deer pics2.jpg
    Deer pics2.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 274

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't see this until somebody brought it back up, Sandcreek. Those are just unbelievable shots. You should send those in to 'Oklahoma Today'. I've decided not to hunt much anymore as long as Safeway has hamburger meat in stock. Those are great pics.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN said:
I didn't see this until somebody brought it back up, Sandcreek. Those are just unbelievable shots. You should send those in to 'Oklahoma Today'. I've decided not to hunt much anymore as long as Safeway has hamburger meat in stock. Those are great pics.
Thanks RGINN--My daughter entered some in a couple of outdoor contests but nothing ever came of it. We've taken lots of video of our deer herd----caught some unbelievable stuff on the video camera!! Its amazing how those things get used to humans. We had lots of does and bucks that would come whenever we whistled--the knew they were gonna get a "cookie".
Glad you liked the pictures~~~~~sandcreek

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
allen said:
definetily some really nice pics !!
lots of deer burger standing there !!
Thanks allen! Glad you liked the pictures!
regards~~sandcreek

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Maaaan! buck #3 is a dandy! I would bowhunt religiously growing up. Now I swing a 2,000 dollar gizmo digging for trash...I used to laugh at the guys that metal detected. I need to get back into bow hunting...

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4-H said:
Maaaan! buck #3 is a dandy! I would bowhunt religiously growing up. Now I swing a 2,000 dollar gizmo digging for trash...I used to laugh at the guys that metal detected. I need to get back into bow hunting...
Well.....since you brought him up ;D---this buck now resides on our living room wall. He was NOT taken off the feedline, but was stalked about 2 miles from the house. My daughter took him last year with a .22-250 Remington rifle. The year(2007) the picture was taken he was a 9 point and last year(2008) he was a 10 point. Pretty good for a 13 year old girl, huh :tongue3:?! We even have one of his sheds from the first year when she took that picture. Its so much fun to watch these things and see how they grow!
Here's a picture of him on our wall. Thanks for the comments, 4-H!
kind regards~~sandcreek

Attachments

• mo-cha-la-grande.JPG
    mo-cha-la-grande.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 174
  • mo-cha-la-grande.JPG
    mo-cha-la-grande.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 175

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread