Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the last two years my kids and I have been feeding Whitetail deer outside our yard fence. We usually start putting out deer corn or "cookies"(cattle cake 16% protein) in the fall(October) and feed the deer all winter. We have between 30 to 50 head of deer that come in to eat! My oldest daughter loves to photograph them and she has taken some amazing pictures of bucks fighting and jumping the fence. She is also a deer hunter and brought home a 10 point trophy last fall.
The buck with the drop down horn has a knot on his head that causes his horn to grow funny. He's been back for the last two years(Pics. #1 & 2). We named him "Elliot"(ever see the cartoon "Open Season?) ;D.
The buck(Pic. #6) with the really tall tines has also been back for the last 2 years. We found both of his sheds(horns) last month. His G2's measure 11" & 12" in length!! He lost his left eye this year fighting another buck!

Hope you enjoy looking at our deer herd!!!!
Kind Regards~~sandcreek4

Attachments

• Elliot.JPG
    Elliot.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 766
  • P1030223.JPG
    P1030223.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 634
  • P1030326.JPG
    P1030326.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 663
  • P1030355.JPG
    P1030355.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 662
  • P1030424.JPG
    P1030424.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 654
  • P1030497.JPG
    P1030497.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 651
  • P1030498.JPG
    P1030498.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 684
  • P1040347.JPG
    P1040347.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 635
  • P1040352.JPG
    P1040352.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 635
  • JB-01 big buck (2).JPG
    JB-01 big buck (2).JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 759
  • doe jumping fence.JPG
    doe jumping fence.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 695
  • Elliot2.JPG
    Elliot2.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 678

Muddy Feet

Feb 13, 2009
MN
Very cool pictures. Do you regularly look for antler sheds in the spring? I have a friend who found 35 antlers this year.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Muddy Feet said:
Very cool pictures. Do you regularly look for antler sheds in the spring? I have a friend who found 35 antlers this year.
Yes, we always go shed hunting in the spring. By having these deer feeding outside our fence we can watch and see when they start shedding and look accordingly. Some years its late February/early March before they start shedding. But a couple of years ago they started shedding in December, right after the rut. The weather was really bad and I think they shed their horns to conserve energy, or maybe their testosterone levels dropped off faster that year. Its fun to watch these things and see how they act. Even the does fight and I didn't know that until we began feeding them. Check out this picture~~~
sandcreek4

Attachments

• P1030945 (3).JPG
    P1030945 (3).JPG
    76 KB · Views: 1,624

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing and again great pics ! And good info ..... ya can learn a lot from someone who's getting as much expouser to deer as you are! I don't think I have ever heard about does fighting, but, it would make sense! Your daughters pics are really great!

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mental Granny said:
Thanks for sharing and again great pics ! And good info ..... ya can learn a lot from someone who's getting as much expouser to deer as you are! I don't think I have ever heard about does fighting, but, it would make sense! Your daughters pics are really great!
Thanks again Mental Granny! Its amazing what you can learn just from watching animals habits. Those does can really make the hair fly! ;D
I think bucks will do that too after they lose their horns and while their horns are still in the "velvet". I guess that's so they won't damage the horns because they're soft until the velvet falls off and the horns get hard.
We're glad you enjoyed these pics! Kind Regards~~sandcreek4

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That 'deer herd' would make a hunter drool, nice pic's.

Fossis...............

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fossis said:
That 'deer herd' would make a hunter drool, nice pic's.

Fossis...............
Thanks Fossis! From one year to the next, there has been a big difference in horn growth with these deer. Good nutrition makes HUGE horns ;D. I have read recently about "Milo" being a good source of protein and we may try that next Fall.
Kind Regards~~~sandcreek4

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And since your daughter is a hunter, I know ya gotta be eatin some sweet meat I like deer that have eatin out of corn fields more than just where ever love them both but....
I still love taking pics the most!

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mental Granny said:
And since your daughter is a hunter, I know ya gotta be eatin some sweet meat I like deer that have eatin out of corn fields more than just where ever love them both but....
I still love taking pics the most!
Yes, the corn does make the meat taste better--but she doesn't shoot anything on the "feedline". She likes to hunt "ethically" out in the woods and give the deer a chance. We try to keep it fair and balanced!
I think she likes taking pictures as much as hunting though, too!
thanks for all the comments MG~
regards, sandcreek4

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh would not even think that she shot on the feed line! Thats used for just shots on the camera!
I meant when Jeff use to go hunt and when friends have given us meat the ones taken around corn fields were sweeter. :icon_sunny: Sorry if it sounded bad I did not mean it to sound that way.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can tell that there is some excellent breeding stock there. Those 3 bucks look like they probably all came from the same sire. Monty

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mental Granny said:
Oh would not even think that she shot on the feed line! Thats used for just shots on the camera!
I meant when Jeff use to go hunt and when friends have given us meat the ones taken around corn fields were sweeter. :icon_sunny: Sorry if it sounded bad I did not mean it to sound that way.
No, Mental Granny--it didn't sound bad( about what you said). I was just trying to make sure that anyone who reads this didn't think we were "baiting" the deer and not giving them a chance--I just didn't want anyone to be offended. Know what I mean? ;D
regards, sandcreek4
Monty said:
You can tell that there is some excellent breeding stock there. Those 3 bucks look like they probably all came from the same sire. Monty
Monty--I think you're right about some of these deer coming from the same sire. Some of these bucks have split brow tines or "basket racks" or other similarities. Here's some more pics. and thanks for your comments!
The one with "spots" on his face seemed to have a skin problem--he was always itching! Do deer get eczema :-\?
And we saw a buck smelling a "hot" doe(this isn't supposed to be a crude remark)--notice his curled up nose.
Kind regards~~sandcreek4

Attachments

• DSC02161.JPG
    DSC02161.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 526
  • P1040997.JPG
    P1040997.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 510
  • P1040772.JPG
    P1040772.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 515
  • P1030982(1).JPG
    P1030982(1).JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 531
  • Horns!.JPG
    Horns!.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 544
  • 12 Point Buck(2).JPG
    12 Point Buck(2).JPG
    68 KB · Views: 788
  • P1040363.JPG
    P1040363.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 530
  • P1040362.JPG
    P1040362.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 525
OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mental Granny said:
That is still a beautiful herd of deer ! Has she gotton any fawn pics yet?
She's only gotton one fawn picture. This was from last year and the doe was running across the prairie with the baby right behind her. The does seem to go into hiding when they have the babies and you have to be really quick to catch a glimpse of a fawn. Here ya go~~

Attachments

• P1000222.JPG
    P1000222.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 606
OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
crazyjarhead said:
WOW nice bucks :thumbsup:
Thanks crazyjarhead! We're hoping they'll come back next year so she can photograph them somemore!
kind regards~~sandcreek4

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I would have to remind myself daily---- must not shoot big buck deers :wink: -- nice buncha deer --keep feeding em you'll get some monster shed wall hanger racks

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it needs to be said that what you are doing is a wonderful thing.

Many people love to hunt, I being one of them. Not many understand the concept of giving back though. Sure they will feed through hunting season to draw them in, but what about the rest of the time. Yes it can become expensive, but I have been on a few high game fence ranches that after hunting season the deer are a sad poor looking lot. They stop the feed and with only so many acres to cover and not much food, they suffer, starve, and are a mangy looking lot, it breaks my heart. Feeding year around not only keeps the deer in non game fenced areas, it keeps them prime, and makes excellent breeding stock, especially if you know how to cull them. You already have some really nice bucks to work with, I would say in another 3-5 years that herd could seriously pay for itself if you continue to manage them. Either way what you are doing is a great thing and I wish more folks would follow your example and take what they need to for meat, enjoy the majestic site of the rest, and work to preserve them by feeding them. Just watch out for cats, they tend to show up where the food source is, and they can really mess things up for you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread