Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jamey said:
well fed,he looks,almost looks like its getting to big to fly. jamey
jamey---he was HUGE! And I think having all his feathers fluffed up made him look bigger. He stretched his wings out and was fanning them up and down to dry out. We watched for a few minutes and then he flew off. I think you're right about him being "well fed" :thumbsup:.
thanks for the comments~~sandcreek4

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Muddy Feet said:
Another great picture.
Thanks Muddy Feet!
kind regards~~sandcreek4

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool bird. That girl of yours has the touch with those effects. I kinda like the first one best. That boy of mine in Oklahoma hunts with those, and keeps one in his house.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN said:
Cool bird. That girl of yours has the touch with those effects. I kinda like the first one best. That boy of mine in Oklahoma hunts with those, and keeps one in his house.
Hey RGINN---I've always wanted to see someone hunt with hawks! You know I've read about them doing that in Medieval times, ect., but didn't think people still did! What kind of hawk does your son have? Do you have to get a special permit to own one?
Thank you for your comments and glad you like the pics :thumbsup:.
Kind regards~~sandcreek4

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
crazyjarhead said:
I believe that's a red-tailed haww. Very common in all 48 states
Thanks crazyjarhead for that info!
Kind Regards, sansdcreek4

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat pic, Sand. It does look like a red tail, but I have to pull out my bird book. May be a Cooper's hawk...what we know as a "chicken hawk". Every once in a while, if I really paying attention I see a hawk that has a long leather looking strap attached to its leg. I do not see it that often, but wonder if it is a trained bird out for a hunt, then back to the owner or if it escaped.

:wink: RR

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
River Rat said:
Neat pic, Sand. It does look like a red tail, but I have to pull out my bird book. May be a Cooper's hawk...what we know as a "chicken hawk". Every once in a while, if I really paying attention I see a hawk that has a long leather looking strap attached to its leg. I do not see it that often, but wonder if it is a trained bird out for a hunt, then back to the owner or if it escaped.

:wink: RR
We weren't for sure on what kind of hawk it was and I don't know if we have "Cooper's" hawks in Oklahoma?? and that type isn't in our "Birds of Oklahoma" field guide/book. Maybe someone will see this and give us a definate ID on it. In the bird book it says about RED-TAILED HAWKS: "Large hawk with amazing variety of colors from bird to bird, from chocolate brown to nearly all white".

I bet the one you're seeing is a "captive" hawk and its out for a hunt. I think that's the coolest thing! You need to get a picture of it :thumbsup:.
Thanks for the comments, River Rat!
Kind Regards~~sandcreek4

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't see the tail feathers but don't believe it's a red tail. In Oklahoma in the winter months, you guys will see a lot of different hawk species, as they come down from up north for the winter. You can tell the northern hawks as they have a tendency to sit on the ground in the middle of fields. I've been trying to get my son on this site as he could be a big help, but I guess when you're a big time animal expert and genius, it may be hard to focus on a simple request. (Ha-ha, hope you see that Walt!)

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
EXCELLENT SHOT!!

I don't think it's a Red Tail.
That looks like what we called a Chicken Hawk when I lived in Oklahoma.

For comparison heres a Red Tail Hawk from here.

Attachments

• marsh 4 - 14 - 6 056_RJ_2.JPG
    marsh 4 - 14 - 6 056_RJ_2.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 233
OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN said:
I can't see the tail feathers but don't believe it's a red tail. In Oklahoma in the winter months, you guys will see a lot of different hawk species, as they come down from up north for the winter. You can tell the northern hawks as they have a tendency to sit on the ground in the middle of fields. I've been trying to get my son on this site as he could be a big help, but I guess when you're a big time animal expert and genius, it may be hard to focus on a simple request. (Ha-ha, hope you see that Walt!)
Thanks RGINN for that info! We sent the pictures to a couple of "bird watcher" friends and we'll let you know what they think it is. Its fun trying to identify these things and an education for my daughter!
kind regards~~sandcreek
Ron & April said:
EXCELLENT SHOT!!

I don't think it's a Red Tail.
That looks like what we called a Chicken Hawk when I lived in Oklahoma.

For comparison heres a Red Tail Hawk from here.
Thanks Ron for the pic to compare it by--it may be a "chicken hawk"!
And thanks for your comments and encouraging words! My daughter loves to get on here and see all the comments left about her photos!
Kind regards~~sandcreek4

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We sent this picture to a friend who is a "bird watcher" and he said it "might" be a juvenile Red-tailed hawk.
His son is in charge of the Biology Department at Georgia Southern University and he is going to forward this picture on to him and see if he knows for sure what kind of hawk this is.
We'll let you know when we find out.
~~~sandcreek4~~~

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
plehbah said:
He is looking for something good to eat.

Something good to eat sells!
;D After all the rain we've been having, he's probably looking for an umbrella as well.
thanks plehbah!
regards~~~sandcreek

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
my guess is an immature red-tail, they are just about our biggest hawk, Juevy's have barring on thier tails. Nice shot!
ng

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
naturegirl said:
my guess is an immature red-tail, they are just about our biggest hawk, Juevy's have barring on thier tails. Nice shot!
ng
Thanks naturegirl!
regards~~sandcreek4

samish

Apr 29, 2009
Washington
Hi, Both birds pictured in this post are Red Tails. The top pic is an Immature Kriders redtail found most commonly in the central part of
of the country. The bird flying is an adult Red tail. Red tails come in a variety of colors. The first bird is a very light bird, the second is very typical of the birds we see out here on the west coast. They also come as dark morphs. Heres a Pic of the other extreme.

Attachments

• Raptors_-_Red-tailed_Hawk_dark_morph_killer_image_10-11-07_edited-627x557.jpg
    Raptors_-_Red-tailed_Hawk_dark_morph_killer_image_10-11-07_edited-627x557.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 166
OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
samish said:
Hi, Both birds pictured in this post are Red Tails. The top pic is an Immature Kriders redtail found most commonly in the central part of
of the country. The bird flying is an adult Red tail. Red tails come in a variety of colors. The first bird is a very light bird, the second is very typical of the birds we see out here on the west coast. They also come as dark morphs. Heres a Pic of the other extreme.
Thanks so much, samish! Really appreciate the information as we still weren't sure as to what kind of hawk it was.
Kind regards~~sandcreek4

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread