Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just one more story about getting too close. Years ago there were several campgrounds in the Wichitas. When we were in high school we liked to go down there and camped a lot at Burford Lake on Panther creek. If it was warm we generally just slept on the ground in the open in our sleeping bags. Early one morning about daylight I got woke up by some kind of grunting sound. An entire herd of buffalo (yeah, I know bison is correct, forgive me, I'm old) were grazing all around us. You could reach out and touch them, but we didn't dare. We just stayed real quiet until they moved on. I can't believe they didn't step on us.

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love watching the babies (really of any kind) froilcking with the cool weather, They are so much fun to watch! We have 3 heard (private) around here that I have seen lately I love to watch and take pics of them ! Thanks for sharing her pics with us!

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Good story Rginn. A friend of mine has a similar story. Only he was sitting on his tailgate one evening after a long hike, just enjoying the stars when a herd walked up quietly all around his truck. They were grunting too, and eventually moved on. But it seems to have been very memorable. He said it was too dark to see them, but he was surrounded , and it was a small truck. I can imagine what it must have been like to actually be on the ground with them all around! My getting too close story is foolish in hindsight. I really thought I had to have a plaster cast of a big footprint, and it had been very dry. The only place there were footprints were around a pond. Unfortunately, so were the buffalo. There were no calves with them, and they were on the otherside, so yes, I stupidly went to the water's edge and got my cast. I kept telling myself I could make it back to the truck if they acted skitish. I know I could not have. They say God watches out for fools, I'm proof. Nothing happened. I won't take that chance again, and I hope my story doesn't encourage anyone else too. My friend saw one of them jump straight up a 6-8 ft creek bank one time, the strength in these animals is decieving, they just look like slow cows.

ng

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aww, so cute. :)

:wink: RR

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh you are so right they are fast very fast! That was why the comment I made when I posted pics of them we had been the ield Jeff was at the wheel I was standing right at the door so we could go if need!
Jeffs boss - one of his SIL his grandpa owns a heard just south of town and they talk about when they move the heard from field to field that they can be very mean if they want they will come thru a fence to get you, and really mean of course when there are babies with them! In fact his daughter said when moving cattle she'll let her child go but when its the buffalo nope she and the child stay home!

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks RGINN, naturegirl, crazyjarhead, 4-H staff, Mental Granny, River Rat, and texastee2007 for the comments! I haven't been getting my "comment notifications" on my posts so that's why I haven't responded.
I'm glad you all enjoyed these pictures! and thanks for the stories!
kind regards~~sandcreek4

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread