fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sheep Sorrel, also known as Purple Wood Sorrel, (Oxalis drummondi), is a plant with lavender blooms, trefoil leaves, purple undersides, with green tops, it is edible, (makes your teeth feel sharper), we used to eat it in the spring, but we called it 'Sheep Showers'.
Some folks used to make pies & wine from it, (never tried either). ;D
I just introduced it to two of my Grandsons this last week.

Fossis.................

Attachments

• sheep sorrel 007.JPG
    sheep sorrel 007.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 2,966

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Ahh yes, takes me back to my barefoot childhood. The patches of sheep shower would feel so cool, we invariably sat down in a patch and started chewing. I've heard of wine being made with them also. The scent of honeysuckle has the same power to take me back also. It won't be long till it scents the air. Thanks for posting!
naturegirl

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
naturegirl said:
Ahh yes, takes me back to my barefoot childhood. The patches of sheep shower would feel so cool, we invariably sat down in a patch and started chewing. I've heard of wine being made with them also. The scent of honeysuckle has the same power to take me back also. It won't be long till it scents the air. Thanks for posting!
naturegirl

You're Welcome naturegirl, the 'Honeysuckle' is starting to bloom here now, I love the smell. :thumbsup:

Fossis..............

buckshot

Mar 31, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Some folks used to make pies & wine from it, (never tried either).

Fossis, I can remember back when i was a kid my dad showed me a Sheep Shower wine? recipe. I picked as much as i could stuff into a glass Mason jar along with a 1/2cup or so of sugar and water,put the lid on and buried it for a week. Dug it up, strained the juice and me and my little friends all got to sample the fruits of my labor.Seems like it kinda reminded me of Kool Aid. My dad may have left out a Secret Ingredient. Us being kids at the time thought it was neat...Maybe there are some more recipes around... Thanks for posting, brought back some childhood memories...

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
buckshot said:
Some folks used to make pies & wine from it, (never tried either).

Fossis, I can remember back when i was a kid my dad showed me a Sheep Shower wine? recipe. I picked as much as i could stuff into a glass Mason jar along with a 1/2cup or so of sugar and water,put the lid on and buried it for a week. Dug it up, strained the juice and me and my little friends all got to sample the fruits of my labor.Seems like it kinda reminded me of Kool Aid. My dad may have left out a Secret Ingredient. Us being kids at the time thought it was neat...Maybe there are some more recipes around... Thanks for posting, brought back some childhood memories...

I think we tried to make wine once also, but it never fermented. ::)
Welcome to Treasure-Net Buckshot.

Fossis.............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread