Ut Ohhh!!!!

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
I don't think it was such a good idea for momma robin to nest in the grill afterall :o
I opened the lid today to check on things and found this ....

egg1.jpg

egg3.jpg

egg4.jpg

Not sure what the other eggs are like, I was afraid to touch them. I havent seen momma robin lately so I don't know how well these guys are gonna do (or if they are even still viable) :'( :'(

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
If my memory serves me right, eggs incubate at around 102 degrees. Black grill, a sunny day or two; it probably got a LOT hotter than that in there. If it did, momma robin might have abandoned that 'project'

Diggem'

OP
OP
TeddyB1967

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
Re: Ut Ohhh!!!! Weird Update

Updating since I found the hard boiled egg :-\
A few days after this, I checked the nest only to find it empty ??? I'm not sure what happened to the other four eggs. I have looked all over the ground and haven't found anything. Do birds relocate their eggs? In the beginning there were 6 eggs. One almost fell out when I opened the lid so I bumped it back in and 2 days later one of the eggs disappeared. I found that one under the porch. The second egg to go was the hard boiled egg. Shell of that one is no where to be found. Now the last 4 disappeared. I don't even know if they were "cooked" or not, can't find them.

Now I'm not even sure it was a robin! I have seen a robin on the grill, go inside of it and flew away. But I have also seen a black colored bird at the grill also. (not sure what kind, as I have only seen it through a screened window). I have seen them both at different times around the grill.

Over the weekend I checked the nest again because the black colored bird was back and had a friend with him/her, one of them went inside to the nest while the other one sat on the side table. I waited and watched through the window for a few minutes and they eventually both flew away. I checked the nest again and found another blue egg. I looks like the robin eggs in the pictures I posted. So now the mystery begins, is it a Robin's nest or another kind of bird? I will keep checking on the nest and hopefully this time around, the eggs will fair much better than the other 6 did.

Should I add some sticks or something under the lid to keep it propped open a bit to let more air inside, or just leave it to mother nature?

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
You should just leave the whole project alone and let God take care of His creatures. The first eggs if not viable were probably eaten by a predator. Snakes are quite commonly the ones who can get into such places and out again undetected. The second set of Birds is quite common. Many birds are opportunistic and will take over abandoned nests. One thing you may want to consider is that Many birds return to the same location year after year for nesting. SO you may want to reclaim yor grill before such a yearly routine is established or you could develop a flock that visits you yearly placing nests in every, convenient for them but not for you, location.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread