Thanks Van! They are back........the grape jelly is a HIT!

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Earlier this Spring I posted a nest that I was unsure of it's origin. You Folks confirmed it was an Oriole nest which delighted me because last year was the first year they graced us with their presence. :thumbsup: I was a tad worried they may not return this year, under the advice of Van I put out the grape jelly hearing it is a favorite of theirs. I started hearing them a few weeks ago, Gary said he saw them on the 30th of April and they like the jelly. May 1st the pair showed their bright colors to me, I have refilled the Jelly 3 times but had not seen them myself at the glass until yesterday.................

Attachments

• ORIOLE NEST.jpg
    ORIOLE NEST.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 489
  • ORIOLE NEST.jpg
    ORIOLE NEST.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 489
  • oriole1.jpg
    oriole1.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 492
  • oriole2.jpg
    oriole2.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 482
  • oriole3.jpg
    oriole3.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 491

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Nice pictures! I didn't know that they enjoy grape jelly, glad to know that. We don't see them often enough up in NH, but I'm going to try that!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Kim, you got some good photos of the pretty boy to boot, I also like your improvised Oriole feeder!! :thumbsup:
I only ever see them here when the Chinese Chestnut trees are in full bloom and starting to have a rather stenchy odor which attracts loads of bugs, thus attracting the Orioles, do not know where in the area they have been nesting lately. But, may try the grape jelly routine also, but may use a shot glass instead. :D

Don

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love your feeder, why not dine in style! :icon_sunny: But I didn't know they liked grape jelly !
Love your pics they are great!

Muddy Feet

Feb 13, 2009
MN
Great pics, they also like orange slices. We are lucky enough to have many of them around every year.

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
COUNTRY GIRL said:
They are very shy. The 5 am wake up call gives them away, worse than a rooster! :D But they are rare in the Northeast. I report when I see them, smae with the Indigo Bunting.

http://www.massaudubon.org/oriole/index.php

I also wasn;t aware they like grape jelly...NICE job on your improvised feeder!!! :thumbsup: I use orange hallves and the orioles seem to love them. I have had a couple of indigo buntings at my feeders the last week, first year I;ve seen them here.

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indigo buntings are really pretty too! And I also didn't know they liked oranges? Thanks for the new info!

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Don, A shot glass may not be big enough for those little footses? :D I can't imagine why but the Orioles love those nasty Gypsy Moth catapillar things, YUCK!

I've tried oranges over the years, they don't seem overly attracted to those as much as the jelly or the sugar mix. My first year for the jelly and I bet I go through a BUNCH! :D

If the Buntings come back too I'll be thrilled!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

I'll try to find the pic's of the Oriole eating the catapilars later. :-\

Attachments

• indigo bunting, egret, flowers 015.jpg
    indigo bunting, egret, flowers 015.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 450

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Hello, Country Girl,
These are very nice pics you have here. That grape jelly works very well for them. I took a couple little
containers that my wife got Meow Mix cat food in and drilled holes in a short length of 1x4 that the little
cups drop into. They have a rim around them that keeps them from dropping through. A leg on both ends holds
a short board for a protecting roof. She fills them with the grape jelly and the Orioles use them pretty
regular. We have two pairs of them here. She has been trying to get some good pics but haven't got any
satisfactory ones yet.
I am glad that you now have them coming to your place now as they are a very pretty bird.

Thanks for sharing

Ray

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mental Granny said:
Indigo buntings are really pretty too! And I also didn't know they liked oranges? Thanks for the new info!

MG...sorry for the confusion...the orioles like oranges....the indigo buntings at my feeder were after the black sunflower seeds and thistle seeds I had out, not the oranges.

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Hello Country Girl,
It's me again. Something i forgot to mention that can be real fun to watch. Keep an eye on the Orioles
when they leave the jelly. Sometimes you can see them wiping their beak off on a branch.They must be able
to feel the jelly on the outside of their beak because I have seen them real viggorously wiping both sides
trying to wipe the jelly off. It is funny to see.

Ray

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
COUNTRY GIRL said:
Earlier this Spring I posted a nest that I was unsure of it's origin. You Folks confirmed it was an Oriole nest which delighted me because last year was the first year they graced us with their presence. :thumbsup: I was a tad worried they may not return this year, under the advice of Van I put out the grape jelly hearing it is a favorite of theirs. I started hearing them a few weeks ago, Gary said he saw them on the 30th of April and they like the jelly. May 1st the pair showed their bright colors to me, I have refilled the Jelly 3 times but had not seen them myself at the glass until yesterday.................
Glad to hear that the jelly is working for you CG. The friend who put me on to the jelly and feeders called the other day and said she has Orioles at her feeders now. I live in a different home now that borders a park so I'm going to put some out also. Your pictures are great,keep posting them as you get them always a pleasure to see your post.
Van

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks MD I did think wrong but, I can't wait to see more of everyones bird pics! i can't put feeders out cause of the cats, so I get to see everyone elses pics and enjoy! And we get stuff for Jeffs prents and when were over there we get to see them and hummingbirds sometimes!

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing, Beautiful Birds.

Fossis..............

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Love those pics CG. That is so cool. :thumbsup: So is it true that the orioles get the Welch's and Ty has to stick to the generic brand for his PBJ sandwiches. :D

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Orioles will also show up at your humming bird feeders, I don't know how they do it, but they'll empty those pretty quick too. .......NGE

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Thanks Folks! I felt very lucky to get the shots, they are not an easy bird to catch on camera. Guess who was just here having breakfast! Only the second time I have seen him at the jelly. :thumbsup:

Ray, I will watch for that, maybe I can get a picture for you. Sounds funny!

Granny, They are fun to watch, glad the Folks have feeders for you to watch.

Well Jeff of course only the best for the Orioles, Ty wouldn't know the difference anyway the way he inhales food. :D

Van, I sincerely mean thank you, without the jelly we wouldn't be able to enjoy their beauty as we are this year. Thanks!

I'm going to add another dish for them this weekend!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread