Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why is it called "Dead Woman Mound"? Did they find a dead woman there or is it Indian related?
That's a cool picture, RGINN! Looks like you had fun on your trip to Oklahoma!
kind regards~~sandcreek4

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is an old story related to that involving Custer and the 7th Cavalry obtaining the release of a female white captive here, and as she was coming towards the soldiers, she was shot in the back and killed. Great story, but no historical backing I can find. The creek that starts here is named Dead Woman Creek and drains into the South Canadian River, eventually. Apparently a dead woman was found here in the past and thus the name. The history of this particular area dates to around 1850, as the California Road passed right by here. The mounds in this area were named Steen's Buttes, and Rock Mary was a landmark for those travellers. Custer and the 7th were in the area years ago, but I have found no record of any noteworthy activity on their part at this place.

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Nice picture Rginn, I hate seeing the contrails all the time too. They are ever on the increase. But, after 911 grounded the planes, there were none. I sat on my back porch and looked at only stars for a few nights. I look at them with a little more tolerance now, and always think of what it took to clear the skies.

ng

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread