Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
karenray08 said:
Sandcreek, that would be quite a surprise to see something like that. Nice catch in the last pic.

Thanks for sharing

Ray
Thank you, Ray!
regards~~sandcreek
ivan salis said:
the reason plastic worms work so well is their snake like appearamce. :icon_thumright:
Yep, you're right Ivan, they do like that snake-like appearance. But the fish are biting on top-water lures as well. I guess they're really hungry right now!
Thanks for the comments~~regards~~sandcreek

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
~trish~ said:
That is freaky! I bet your hubby bout had to change his pants when he held the fishes mouth and saw what was inside! I would have! Im getting ready to go on a Bass Fishing tournament, i'll be thinking about this when i pull the fish in the boat....creepy!
Hope you have fun on your tournament, Trish! Take a big variety of lures and worms. The bass seem to be hitting on red, blue and black worms here in Okla., but we were also using hard plastic crawdads and they were chasing the devil out of them, too ;D.
kind regards~~sandcreek

T

trish76642

sandcreek4 said:
~trish~ said:
That is freaky! I bet your hubby bout had to change his pants when he held the fishes mouth and saw what was inside! I would have! Im getting ready to go on a Bass Fishing tournament, i'll be thinking about this when i pull the fish in the boat....creepy!
Hope you have fun on your tournament, Trish! Take a big variety of lures and worms. The bass seem to be hitting on red, blue and black worms here in Okla., but we were also using hard plastic crawdads and they were chasing the devil out of them, too ;D.
kind regards~~sandcreek

Thank Ya GIRL!

I'll remember the red, blue and black worms! Hey, they really like top water frogs too! I catch bass everytime i use one when no one else is catching anything! :thumbsup:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
floating rubber frog lures , swimming rubber crawdads lures , fish looking lures (repalia minnows) and most dark colored worms (look like snakes) seem to be good "fake" baits --- but it's hard to beat a live shiner here in florida :headbang:

T

trish76642

ivan salis said:
floating rubber frog lures , swimming rubber crawdads lures , fish looking lures (repalia minnows) and most dark colored worms (look like snakes) seem to be good "fake" baits --- but it's hard to beat a live shiner here in florida :headbang:

heheeee! I hear ya Ivan! I have all the above in my tackle box! What i dont have, hubby does! But as much as i would love to use live bait for the tournament, its against the rules. Wonder why? :icon_scratch: I guess it would be to easy if they let us use live bait.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Most Tournaments don't allow live bait. Because they can't promote a particular lure. As in this example of a winner in a tournament; Ms. Bassman wins deep south tourny using Live sucker from Jim Bob's bait Box in 'Bama ;D. This clearly does not sell lures. And tackle manufacturers are who mostly sponsor tournies......NGE

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
The live shiners are something we need to try here, Ivan.
I'll tell you something that works good on catfish is chicken liver or hot dogs rolled in powdered cheese---we tried this last summer and slayed the catfish in the creek! It was a blast!
regards~~sandcreek4

T

trish76642

ivan salis said:
that and the lure companies are spondsers :icon_thumright:

Yep! Thats right! lol

sandcreek4 said:
ivan salis said:
I'll tell you something that works good on catfish is chicken liver or hot dogs rolled in powdered cheese---we tried this last summer and slayed the catfish in the creek! It was a blast!
regards~~sandcreek4

we need to tell her about that stink bait dont we Ivan...if she can stand the smell. lol

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
~trish~ said:
ivan salis said:
that and the lure companies are spondsers :icon_thumright:

Yep! Thats right! lol

sandcreek4 said:
ivan salis said:
regards~~sandcreek4

we need to tell her about that stink bait dont we Ivan...if she can stand the smell. lol
Oh, no--I don't want any of that stink bait! I tried that one year and couldn't get the smell out of my nose :tongue3:. I think chicken liver is bad enough! :D
regards~~sandcreek

T

trish76642

ROTF! Aint that the truth! That stuff aughta be outlawed it smells so bad...sure will catch some catfish though! LMAO

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
psst --I am a "master" catfisherman -- let me tell you a "big" tip --big cats eat other fish as their main food source (sunfish) if legal in your area use em if not use shiners -- cut the sharp top fins of the sunfish (bream) off and the other sharp fins as well --wound it a bit to make it "struggle" a bit and give off a smell -- sit back and hang on --big bass and big cats will not pass one up ever. big cat are preditors * my best channel cat was 38. 04 lbs and won me the $5,000 top prize in a the local "catch bubba" charity catfish contest back in 2000. --if the fish dies cut it on a slant in two and fish it as "fresh" cut bait.

stink baits and livers are great for "numbers" of smaller cats -- but if big is what you want --"up size " your bait and use heavier gear too.

my cat gear is 20 to 30 lb test "big game" line on a abu garcia 6500 C3 reel on a stout 6 to 6 1/2 foot rod -- and a 6/0 3 XXX strong circle hook on a egg slip sinker type ring.

T

trish76642

dont know if i could 'jab' the little guy before i put him on a hook though Ivan...i'll let hubby do that for me...lol...sorry, im such a girl sometimes....LOL

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[/quote]
~trish~ said:
dont know if i could 'jab' the little guy before i put him on a hook though Ivan...i'll let hubby do that for me...lol...sorry, im such a girl sometimes....LOL
I had a hard time 'jabbing' worms when I first started using "live" bait, too, trish! I was such a sissy when it came to squishing those things onto the hook.
And that chicken liver was a little smooshy, too, but at least it was already dead and I didn't have to worry about hurting it :laughing7:!
Oh, the things we do just to catch a fish :wink:!!
regards~~sandcreek4

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Anise oil! Smells so much better than stink bait. I love the smell, a few drops in your chicken liver gets the catfish's attention. A few drops in the shiner bucket works too, but it will kill the minnows, so just treat a few at a time. Get to go fishing at the "trout farm" tomorrow night. Yay! I can't wait.Husband only gets a weekend off every 6 weeks, and we're going fishin! I will always think of a bass full of snakes now. Almost a full moon, I know, not good for the fish, but makes for beautiful night on the water.

naturegirl

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Got any old nylons or panty hose? Place your chicken liver down into the toes and tie with string, then attach to your hook. As long as the cat doesn't swallow your bait, you can re-use it several times......NGE

T

trish76642

~trish~ said:
I had a hard time 'jabbing' worms when I first started using "live" bait, too, trish! I was such a sissy when it came to squishing those things onto the hook.
And that chicken liver was a little smooshy, too, but at least it was already dead and I didn't have to worry about hurting it :laughing7:!
Oh, the things we do just to catch a fish :wink:!!
regards~~sandcreek4
[/quote]

lol...i knew you were my kind of girl! :thumbsup:

naturegirl said:
Anise oil! Smells so much better than stink bait. I love the smell, a few drops in your chicken liver gets the catfish's attention. A few drops in the shiner bucket works too, but it will kill the minnows, so just treat a few at a time. Get to go fishing at the "trout farm" tomorrow night. Yay! I can't wait.Husband only gets a weekend off every 6 weeks, and we're going fishin! I will always think of a bass full of snakes now. Almost a full moon, I know, not good for the fish, but makes for beautiful night on the water.

naturegirl

I know Anise Oil...does smell like some of the baits...wished the stink bait I have smelled like that, but it doenst, It smells like rotting corspe! lol :icon_pale:

Anise Oil is great for a tooth ache too.

nowgittineverything said:
Got any old nylons or panty hose? Place your chicken liver down into the toes and tie with string, then attach to your hook. As long as the cat doesn't swallow your bait, you can re-use it several times......NGE

Thats a great idea NGE! Nothing worse than having to rebait everytime you reel in your line. Im gonna try that one...thanks.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nowgittineverything said:
NGE--I'm gonna try that! We always have trouble with the catfish "stealing" our bait and I bet that would work! Not to mention that liver gets sooooo squishy and starts falling apart.
Thanks for the tip!!!
regards~~sandcreek4
naturegirl said:

naturegirl
Well, you've taught me something new, naturegirl. I never knew anise oil was good for catfish bait!

Hope you and your husband catch lots of fish--I think its supposed to be pretty warm this weekend so I bet the fish will be biting. Watch for snakes ::)!! We just killed 2 more in our yard >:(--I can't believe how bad they are this year!
regards~~sandcreek4

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread