frog.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 338
  • frog2.JPG
    frog2.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 328

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
I just found a little frog similar yesterday painting trim on mom's house. He was light green sticking to white trim. I moved him to a safer place on the wooden deck, and just an hour later he had almost completely lost his green color, and had become a mottled grey. I should have quit working and just sat down and watched him change color, that would have been more fun.

ng

OP
OP
Bridge End Farm

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
naturegirl said:
I just found a little frog similar yesterday painting trim on mom's house. He was light green sticking to white trim. I moved him to a safer place on the wooden deck, and just an hour later he had almost completely lost his green color, and had become a mottled grey. I should have quit working and just sat down and watched him change color, that would have been more fun.

ng

Yeah I wish I had time to watch this one it looked like it could change colors too to blend with it's enviroment

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Here ya go, learned a little something myself looking this one up.

Barking Treefrog (Hyla gratiosa)

Size:

Adult Barking Treefrogs are fairly large, ranging from 2 to 2.5 inches long.
Description:

Unlike the somewhat thin Green Treefrog, Barking Treefrogs look "chubby". They can range in color from green to gray or even tan, and can have a stripe down each size. They usually have spots on the back, although these can fade when the frog changes color.
Range:

Coastal Southeastern US (North Carolina to Southeastern Louisiana)
Breeding Season:

March to August
Call:

A hollow "barking" sound, like the voice of a hunting beagle. To hear the Barking Treefrog's call, visit the USGS Frog Call Lookup.

barking tree frog.jpg

OP
OP
Bridge End Farm

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
GIB said:
Here ya go, learned a little something myself looking this one up.

Barking Treefrog (Hyla gratiosa)

Size:

Adult Barking Treefrogs are fairly large, ranging from 2 to 2.5 inches long.
Description:

Unlike the somewhat thin Green Treefrog, Barking Treefrogs look "chubby". They can range in color from green to gray or even tan, and can have a stripe down each size. They usually have spots on the back, although these can fade when the frog changes color.
Range:

Coastal Southeastern US (North Carolina to Southeastern Louisiana)
Breeding Season:

March to August
Call:

A hollow "barking" sound, like the voice of a hunting beagle. To hear the Barking Treefrog's call, visit the USGS Frog Call Lookup.

cool thanks

Means my beagle Sassy and it should get along talking the same lingo lol

C

Cappy Z.

Once dug a frog pond. The next year hundeds of frogs. The next year a belly full racoon. End of story.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool frog pics and I learned something. Can you eat their legs like we do with bullfrogs or are they too small to be worth the time?

C

Cappy Z.

RGINN said:
Cool frog pics and I learned something. Can you eat their legs like we do with bullfrogs or are they too small to be worth the time?

My god man!!!!! You're talking..cannibalism!!!!
:dontknow:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
tree frogs poisionous -- so don't even think about it ---messes up cats and dogs if they eat em.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info Ivan. Sorry BillyBudd, I see your avatar. However it would be cannibalism for you, not me. But you don't have to worry much about that anymore, because all the nitrates, nitrites, ni whatevers they used in Oklahoma on the soil washed down and killed off most of the bullfrogs in the area I came from. They might come back.

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
That's a big tree frog compared to the ones here, we have the little lime green ones. I used to catch them in the pear tree, was always amazed how they could stick to a window.

We might get a bumper crop of bullfrogs, when I saw the bear and found the bird band, it was also the first time I saw tadpoles in the river. They've always been in the tributaries, backwater, and mudholes, but not in the river and certainly not in the riffles where I found the band.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread