P1090157.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 2,790

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting shot...thanks for sharing. What's with the 4 barbs on the wire, keeping in rhinos? ;D Don't see much of that around here and I'm in kind of a cattle area.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker said:
Interesting shot...thanks for sharing. What's with the 4 barbs on the wire, keeping in rhinos? ;D Don't see much of that around here and I'm in kind of a cattle area.
Hey packerbacker--the 4 barb-wire is for Bison(buffalo)--we live on an animal preserve that has about 3000 head of buffalo. The fence is 7 wire. It keeps them in only because they want to stay in--if they really wanted to get out, they could just walk through it :wink:.
regards~~sandcreek4

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bullbat and Common Nighthawk are the same bird. Monty

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
Bullbat and Common Nighthawk are the same bird. Monty
Yeah, we knew that Monty, but just thought some people might not know they were one and the same. I don't think my grandpa knew that they were also referred to as the "nighthawk" as he always just called them bullbats. It was really kinda neat to see this bird in the daytime because we usually don't see them unless we are out driving after dark. They've got BIG eyes :o ;D. Kinda cool looking bird!
kind regards~~sandcreek

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Whipoorwill family. They are also called goat suckers in europe. The corners of thier mouths are soft so they can open wide to catch insects, they feed on the wing. Peasents believed the mouths were soft because they nursed goats?. I'm sorry! Bird geek, what can I say? We have two other whipporwills in the area. I've never seen them but I hear them alot, thier call is very persistant in the woods at night. The most common is the Chuck-will's-widow. That's what he says, Chuck(barely audible)Will's wi-dow(loud and quick). and he says it over and over. But not as fast as the whipoorwill. who says purple-rib, purple-rib, alot faster than Chuck. I apologise once again, but I like these birds, they are what nighttime sounds like.. I bet you've heard them.

I know, my family tells me not everyone want to hear everything I know about birds, but anyway.....

naturegirl

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
naturegirl said:
Whipoorwill family. They are also called goat suckers in europe. The corners of thier mouths are soft so they can open wide to catch insects, they feed on the wing. Peasents believed the mouths were soft because they nursed goats?. I'm sorry! Bird geek, what can I say? We have two other whipporwills in the area. I've never seen them but I hear them alot, thier call is very persistant in the woods at night. The most common is the Chuck-will's-widow. That's what he says, Chuck(barely audible)Will's wi-dow(loud and quick). and he says it over and over. But not as fast as the whipoorwill. who says purple-rib, purple-rib, alot faster than Chuck. I apologise once again, but I like these birds, they are what nighttime sounds like.. I bet you've heard them.

I know, my family tells me not everyone want to hear everything I know about birds, but anyway.....

naturegirl
Naturegirl--I just thought there was one kind of whippoorwill! Thanks for educating me, its always nice to have friends who are a little "geeky" :thumbsup: ;D ! Whippoorwills make the most beautiful and mournful sounds! I miss them when they leave in the Fall.
regards~~sandcreek

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool pic, Sandcreek. I've never seen one sitting on a fence. Most folks never see them because when they sit on the ground, they blend in perfectly. You're right about buffalo. Fences mean nothing to them if they get the notion.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN said:
Cool pic, Sandcreek. I've never seen one sitting on a fence. Most folks never see them because when they sit on the ground, they blend in perfectly. You're right about buffalo. Fences mean nothing to them if they get the notion.
Thanks RGINN! That bird looked like he was asleep sitting there on that fence :D.
We watched a buffalo jump a pipe rail fence by our house one day--he just hooked his front legs over the top of it and bounced right on over! He jumped into our horse trap with our horses and donkey and they just about freaked out! About 4 hours later he had enough of the horse trap and jumped back out. I think those things are about half mountain goat!!:laughing9:.
regards~~sandcreek

buckshot

Mar 31, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Hey sandcreek, I took this pic one evening as i was walking the hiking trail up at the TGP of your bullbat/common nighthawk sitting on the fence. I like to go up and watch the AWESOME sunsets and hear the coyotes... buckshot

Attachments

• RE-TallGP 005.jpg
    RE-TallGP 005.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 517
  • RE-TallGP 005.jpg
    RE-TallGP 005.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 305
OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
buckshot said:
Hey sandcreek, I took this pic one evening as i was walking the hiking trail up at the TGP of your bullbat/common nighthawk sitting on the fence. I like to go up and watch the AWESOME sunsets and hear the coyotes... buckshot
Nice pic., buckshot! We do have some awesome sunsets here on the prairie. Glad you're enjoying that hiking trail--we've got a big bobcat that stays down around the trail-head so be on the lookout for him! We also saw some badgers down there by the Sand Creek bridge.
kind regards~~sandcreek

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great shot Sandcreek. They are beautiful. I have friends that are birders and that one would be framed in their living room.
Thank you for sharing.

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
bullbat?

Can anyone explain that? Doesn't look like a bat that would bother a bull. Doesn't look like a big bat with horns either.

Thank you.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4-H said:
Yep, same bird......great pics
Thanks 4-H!! regards~~sandcreek
Mental Granny said:
Great pics and info love learning new things! :icon_sunny:
Thanks MG!! kind regards~~sandcreek
TnMountains said:
Great shot Sandcreek. They are beautiful. I have friends that are birders and that one would be framed in their living room.
Thank you for sharing.
We have so many of my daughters pictures in frames that we're running out of wall space :D! We found a place online where you can upload a picture and they will make it into a poster!
Thanks for the comments, TnMountains!
regards~~sandcreek

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tricia said:
bullbat?

Can anyone explain that? Doesn't look like a bat that would bother a bull. Doesn't look like a big bat with horns either.

Thank you.
Tricia~~when these birds fly, they kinda duck and dive like a bat. And maybe because they're out in the pasture with cattle(bulls) that's how they got their nickname "Bullbat". If I'm wrong somebody will correct me :wink: ;D.
regards~~sandcreek

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread