fish-stealing snake

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went fishing this past weekend and had this grass snake try stealing one of the fish. I've had turtles, crawdads, otters and other creatures try stealing my fish but this is the first time a snake has tried it. What's funny is, when this guy left the first time, a brown snake (gopher I think) tried the same thing. What was really interesting is the snake would bite the fish and then wrap his tail around the catails so he would have leverage while pulling the fish. Kids got a kick out of it. I gave it a couple nightcrawler halves and it still came back for fish.

Attachments

• snake1.jpg
    snake1.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 355

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We used to be out fishing at night on the river or creek and sometimes you would pull your stringer up and there would be a great big old diamondback watersnake latched on to your fish. I finally bought a fish basket and that kept everything away.

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My daughter was reeling in what she thought was a fish one evening and she got it almost to the bank and looked down in the water and it was a snake! She almost dropped her pole!! My husband shot it with the .410 pistol and it became turtle fodder ;D.
Cool picture, packerbacker!! Now I'll be watching my stringer for snakes trying to make off with my fish!
regards~~sandcreek

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's happened to me before. Also eels.

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it was a garter snake. Some folks call them grass or garden snakes also. And yes, steelhead fishing can be great in N. Cal. Like I said, this is the first time I've ever had a snake go after my fish and it was two different snakes on the same day. Glad they weren't diamondbacks. :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread