Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My daughter took these pics the other evening while we were out riding around on the prairie.
The first 3 pictures are of a Bobwhite quail perched on the fence. He was just singing his little heart out !
The 4th pic is of a lizard sunning :icon_sunny: on a rock next to the creek---not sure what kind he is? Can anybody tell us?
The last picture is of a Widow Skimmer dragonfly.
Hope you enjoy~~sandcreek4

Attachments

• P1090246 - Copy.JPG
    P1090246 - Copy.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 224
  • P1090248 - Copy.JPG
    P1090248 - Copy.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 227
  • P1090250.JPG
    P1090250.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 230
  • P1090269 - Copy.JPG
    P1090269 - Copy.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 229
  • P1090275 - Copy.JPG
    P1090275 - Copy.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 230

buckshot

Mar 31, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Hey sandcreek, Nice pics of the Quail. Your lizard is referred to as a Collared Lizard.(the bands around that run around the neck) It is Oklahomas state reptile. Ive always called them Mountain Boomers. They make me think of miniature dinosaurs. This one is very young. They are neat to see... buckshot

Attachments

• ElmCreekWildlife8-10-08 008.JPG
    ElmCreekWildlife8-10-08 008.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 225
OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
buckshot said:
Hey sandcreek, Nice pics of the Quail. Your lizard is referred to as a Collared Lizard.(the bands around that run around the neck) It is Oklahomas state reptile. Ive always called them Mountain Boomers. They make me think of miniature dinosaurs. This one is very young. They are neat to see... buckshot
They do look like mini-dino's, buckshot. Thanks for schooling :read2: us on what kind it is! Do they Bite :tongue1: ;D?

kind regards~~sandcreek

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought you had a night hawk sitting there last night?? Great pics as always.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TnMountains said:
I thought you had a night hawk sitting there last night?? Great pics as always.
Funny, TnMountains! I think these birds just like to have their picture taken :laughing9:, they seem to always be posing for my daughter and she's always ready with her camera.
kind regards~~sandcreek

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think birds just jump up and pose for your daughter, sandcreek! Buckshot's right on the lizard ID. In the Wichita Mts., and only in the Wichita's, they have a bright blue collar around the neck. They can bite hard. They can also stand up and run on their hind legs. When I was about 4 years old one ran through our back yard on it's hind legs. It scared the crap out of me, and when the folks were trying to find out what I saw, I went to a book and pointed out a picture of a dinosaur, because that's exactly what it looked like to me. Great pics. I spotted the buffalo in that one, too. I'm heading to Oklahoma for a few days tomorrow, and no ill wishes against y'all, I hope I get a tornado pic. I'll be happy with one that just dips down and doesn't really hurt anything.

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Great story Rginn! I can just see a little boy freakin' out over a boomer. I love them. My husband turned on an oilfield valve of some kind once to some pipe, and it flushed out a male and female Boomer. It was a mix of crude and water or some such toxic stuff, so he knew the little lizards were in trouble. He grabbed one of them and started pouring water over it trying to get the chemicals off. He even opened it's little mouth and rinsed it's mouth out. He brought it home, we only kept it contained till it was lively, and turned it loose in the garden. He said it took to long to get to the second one, and it died quickly, but at least he saved one. Nothing wilder than seeing them run on the back legs the first time. Those are my hands holding the baby in Buckshot's pic. Never had seen a baby before, he kept opening his mouth trying to scare us!

ng

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN said:
I think birds just jump up and pose for your daughter, sandcreek! Buckshot's right on the lizard ID. In the Wichita Mts., and only in the Wichita's, they have a bright blue collar around the neck. They can bite hard. They can also stand up and run on their hind legs. When I was about 4 years old one ran through our back yard on it's hind legs. It scared the crap out of me, and when the folks were trying to find out what I saw, I went to a book and pointed out a picture of a dinosaur, because that's exactly what it looked like to me. Great pics. I spotted the buffalo in that one, too. I'm heading to Oklahoma for a few days tomorrow, and no ill wishes against y'all, I hope I get a tornado pic. I'll be happy with one that just dips down and doesn't really hurt anything.
That is a funny story about the lizard, RGINN. I hope if you get a picture of a tornado, its not in the Northeastern part of the state :tongue3:! Enjoy your trip and be safe!!
regards~~sandcreek4

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
naturegirl said:
Great story Rginn! I can just see a little boy freakin' out over a boomer. I love them. My husband turned on an oilfield valve of some kind once to some pipe, and it flushed out a male and female Boomer. It was a mix of crude and water or some such toxic stuff, so he knew the little lizards were in trouble. He grabbed one of them and started pouring water over it trying to get the chemicals off. He even opened it's little mouth and rinsed it's mouth out. He brought it home, we only kept it contained till it was lively, and turned it loose in the garden. He said it took to long to get to the second one, and it died quickly, but at least he saved one. Nothing wilder than seeing them run on the back legs the first time. Those are my hands holding the baby in Buckshot's pic. Never had seen a baby before, he kept opening his mouth trying to scare us!

ng
Glad your husband saved the little Boomer, NG! Ever since we moved out on the prairie, it makes us appreciate all the wildlife and their importance to the whole Ecosystem. We discover new critters all the time.
regards~~sandcreek

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread