Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No more tall pines in my yard. After Katrina, Gustav, Ike and the snow we were not taking anymore chances of a tree on the house. It's a mess, but now if we can get some rain I can MD :headbang: Here's a little collage of my yard during the hurricane, snow and today. I was nowhere around when they were cutting in the yard...too dangerous.

Todaya1.jpg
Snow - Dec '08​
Todaya.jpg
Lightening rod​
Todaya3.jpg
Gustav​
tree (2).jpg

Tree2.jpg

tree3 (2).jpg

tree4 (2).jpg
I measured this one...36" circumference​

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about losing the trees anyway. Lots of tree cutting going on up here due to the pine beetle infestation. Everybody blames global warming, but I think it's nature's way of compensating for the lack of natural wildfires.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You better cut quick if you have the pine beetles. We are cutting about 300 acres of pine right now in a select cut. I am doing it for habitat management. Timer prices are at an all time low and the Bowaters is on quotas. The bores ran thru here a couple years ago.
I dont blame you River Rat. I sometimes wish I did not have the large oaks over my house. Cant just drop those. Nice cuts by the way : )

Regards
TnMountains

foxtonames

May 21, 2007
Northwest Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you mean "diameter" instead of circumference. A 36" circumference would be about 11.5" diameter, which would make the guy with the chainsaw about one foot tall at the crotch.
Foxtonames

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Considering what you are exposed to I think it was a good decision. We just lost power last week from a bad storm, my neighbor had 1/3 of a big Tulip Popular tree get sheared off with straight force winds, which took out her cable and electricity, and lucky that only smaller portions fell on the roof.

My the wires going to my house are routed through a big Oak tree, and also have another big Oak behind the house I worry about. Rather expensive having Tree Surgeons do it, but a cherry picker has been needed on all the previous trees I have had removed over the past 10 years. But, Oaks are pretty stable around her, it is the big Jersey Pines I worry about and have had a few snap over the years, thus the half dozen trees removed lately have all been those big Jersey Pine trees.

Don

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The trees are really commin down, when we were on the phone I know you said Alden was busy with the cuting but, ........ WOW!

OP
OP
River Rat

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
foxtonames said:
I think you mean "diameter" instead of circumference. A 36" circumference would be about 11.5" diameter, which would make the guy with the chainsaw about one foot tall at the crotch.
Foxtonames

Fox, all I know that when I measured it was 36" from edge to edge...just measured my patio table and that read 33".

Evy, yep he was busy as a bee. The stump grinders are finished and the yard still looks terrible. But, I don't have to worry about a tree hitting the house again.

:wink: RR

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And with it being your hurricane season then winter I know it will be alot easier for you! I was off line from Mon. night at 11 till about 4 am this am we had no elec. we had a tornado! I think it was a F1 dont know yet !

S

stefen

RGINN said:
Sorry about losing the trees anyway. Lots of tree cutting going on up here due to the pine beetle infestation. Everybody blames global warming, but I think it's nature's way of compensating for the lack of natural wildfires.

Experienced pine beetles several years ago....boy what a mess...could see the decline in days...USF cut and coptered-out thousands of trees...

Basically, our area was due to drought and low water table...bettles infested trees in distress...

Can't imagine one of those taking out a house...did see one take out a caddy...flattest Detroit iron ever.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
RGINN said:
Exellent point, I'd have to agree.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions