• passionflwr.jpg
    passionflwr.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 226

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love passiflora. :icon_sunny: It and bird of paradise have to be my two favorite flowers. Obviously they won't overwinter here in Ct but that doesn't stop me from putting them in big pots on the back porch during the summer and in a greenhouse over the winter. The passiflora probably grow ten to twelve feet a year here with two heavy bloom cycles.

Thanks for the photo, I'll see if I can locate some to share later today. :)

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't they smell wonderful?? They look so tropical--its hard to believe they could grow in Oklahoma. We found some growing wild and gathered the seed pods to see if they would grow in our flower garden.
An old man told me one time [when he was a boy] he used to eat the seeds inside the pods----he called them "Maypops". He said he made himself sick by eating so many.
Nice picture, Naturegirl!!
regards~~sandcreek

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
My grandmother called them Maypops also, I couldn't remember if she said they ate them or not. I tried growing them in a pot, and always looked for them out hiking. Now that they are growing at work, I see them lots of places. I did bring a start home, it hasn't bloomed yet, but at least it's still alive. Also called the crucifix flower? Some kind of ledgend to it, or am I thinking of something else?

ng

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
naturegirl said:
My grandmother called them Maypops also, I couldn't remember if she said they ate them or not. I tried growing them in a pot, and always looked for them out hiking. Now that they are growing at work, I see them lots of places. I did bring a start home, it hasn't bloomed yet, but at least it's still alive. Also called the crucifix flower? Some kind of ledgend to it, or am I thinking of something else?
ng
Maybe so naturegirl--for "The Passion of the Christ".
regards~~sandcreek

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to come accross simlar in the fields (NC), when hunting arrowheads, such a beautiful flower..

Molly.

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
cool looking flower,these are the only flower pics i have

Attachments

• DSC03834.JPG
    DSC03834.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 169
  • DSC03836.JPG
    DSC03836.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 170
  • DSC03834.JPG
    DSC03834.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 169
  • DSC03836.JPG
    DSC03836.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 170

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sandcreek4 said:
Don't they smell wonderful?? They look so tropical--its hard to believe they could grow in Oklahoma. We found some growing wild and gathered the seed pods to see if they would grow in our flower garden.
An old man told me one time [when he was a boy] he used to eat the seeds inside the pods----he called them "Maypops". He said he made himself sick by eating so many.
Nice picture, Naturegirl!!
regards~~sandcreek

I think they are some of the most beautiful flowers also, the seed pods are edible, but wait until they get dry.

Fossis..............

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
steve71 said:
cool looking flower,these are the only flower pics i have

Great flower pics. You know, you could crop out that pointy rock thingy in the second pic, it distracts from the rose.

I'm running for cover. ;D

Great pics. :)

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
They are fantastic flowers, and after looking for them for so long, they're right out my backdoor,almost.

Funny Steve 71, are you saying your passion for arrowhead hunting is coming up roses?

ng

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread