Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excavator said:
When I was young and could run really fast, a wasp chased me four laps around the house. Every time I looked back, it was 8 inches from my nose.

Nowadays, I just stand my ground and go slap happy. I don't throw rocks at wasp nests anymore though.( ;D :laughing9:)
Hornets hate lawn mowers and will bite the operator behind the ear when the mower passes by. ouch! Two little fang marks!
That wasp was coming at me sooo fast, I didn't think the wasp spray was going to work!! Even after I coated him with the Raid and he fell to the ground, he was still crawling towards me! I'm telling ya that bugger was mean and tough!!
thanks for the comments, Excavator!
regards~~sandcreek
Neogeo said:
It could have been this wasp..found this guy in Baltimore.
DSCI0027.jpg

DSCI0028.jpg

(thats a Olive jar BTY)
He's a scary looking one, Neogeo! He didn't sting ya, did he?
I've been really careful when I step out my back door lately!!! I kinda poke my head out first and look around :D.
regards~~sandcreek

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eu_citzen said:
Asian Giant Hornet. :o
J/K.
But it looks like a bad sucker, does indeed look like a red hornet, maybe the queen?
Maybe it was a queen :dontknow:, she was a mean ole wench, though! :laughing7:
Thanks for the comments Eu_citzen!
kind regards~~sandcreek

Neogeo

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2009
Austin T.X.
Nah this one didn't get me..(It was dead on a windowsill)But I have stepped on one...I would have jumped to the moon,had my son not been on my shoulder..lolMy whole foot swelled.(they are gound nesters,so it can be easy to step on them.

Hows this for a Cattapiller...
DSCI0037.jpg

It is upsidedown.those horns are untop.
DSCI0030.jpg

Sorry to HIJACK your post lol

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neogeo said:
it's this guy

September 2001 - Hickory Horned Devil

http://critters.gato-ranch.com/hhd.html
Don't those caterpillar's turn into beautiful moths?!
We always enjoy looking at the tomato worms/caterpillars because they turn into Sphinx moths (or Hawk moths as they're sometimes called).
Nice pics of the caterpillar, Neogeo!
regards~~sandcreek

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep those away from me! When I was about 5 yrs. old I attacked a nest with a baseball bat and got stung 5 times on the head. It caused me to have a very low tolerance for wasp stings now. If I get stung by a red ant, it makes me sleepy for a couple of hours. Don't anybody try this, but I used to put gasoline in a spray bottle. It will drop a wasp right out of the air. But like I said, please don't try that. I am a trained professional with a score to settle!

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN said:
Keep those away from me! When I was about 5 yrs. old I attacked a nest with a baseball bat and got stung 5 times on the head. It caused me to have a very low tolerance for wasp stings now. If I get stung by a red ant, it makes me sleepy for a couple of hours. Don't anybody try this, but I used to put gasoline in a spray bottle. It will drop a wasp right out of the air. But like I said, please don't try that. I am a trained professional with a score to settle!
:wink: :D ;D :laughing9:
We've used diesel before on wasp nests and it drops them just like gasoline does. But nothing works as good(for me) as that far shooting Raid!
Thanks for the comments, RGINN!
regards~~sandcreek

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
sandcreek, you should have seen me running backwards down a steep hill in the dark, flashlight in one hand and a sputtering can of wasp and hornet spray in the other, followed by a squadron of angry yellow jackets. Grapevines do leave rope burns! You can laugh at me, everyone else did.

The last yellow jacket that got me, made me feel like I had a broken leg for two weeks.

Mustard stops the sting right away. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excavator said:
sandcreek, you should have seen me running backwards down a steep hill in the dark, flashlight in one hand and a sputtering can of wasp and hornet spray in the other, followed by a squadron of angry yellow jackets. Grapevines do leave rope burns! You can laugh at me, everyone else did. (I did laugh--not at you, but with you ;D)
The last yellow jacket that got me, made me feel like I had a broken leg for two weeks.

Mustard stops the sting right away. :icon_thumleft:
I would never have thought to put mustard on a wasp sting! My husband always puts Copenhagen on ours and it usually pulls the sting and swelling right out! I feel sorry for anyone who gets stung by a wasp! I've knocked down 2 more nests around my house since I started this post--wasps are bad this year!!
Thanks for your comments, Excavator! Be careful out there!
kind regards~~sandcreek

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a swarm of hornets around my patio now. I looked them up last year and they are called Cicada Killers. They will paralize a cicada with their sting and lay an egg on it and then bury it in the ground. Next spring the egg hatches, the larvae eats the cicada and flies out of the ground when he finally turns into a hornet. Then the cycle is repeated. The males just fly around , mate and die. They are huge and harmless thank goodness. They won't sting you unless you would happen to sit on one or something like that. You can walk right through the swarm and they will ignore you. Monty

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
I have a swarm of hornets around my patio now. I looked them up last year and they are called Cicada Killers. They will paralize a cicada with their sting and lay an egg on it and then bury it in the ground. Next spring the egg hatches, the larvae eats the cicada and flies out of the ground when he finally turns into a hornet. Then the cycle is repeated. The males just fly around , mate and die. They are huge and harmless thank goodness. They won't sting you unless you would happen to sit on one or something like that. You can walk right through the swarm and they will ignore you. Monty
Monty--my cousin was pestering one of those cicada killers on time(which was stupid!) and it stung him on the face. His eye swelled shut and he didn't have any feeling in his face for a week or better. I think he learned to leave those things alone! :tard:
thanks for the comments!
regards~~sandcreek

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sandcreek, only the female Cicada Killer has stingers, but the males have mandibils that can bite. But unless you are bothering them they won't sting you. I have sat all evening and had them fly all around me and even land on me and never got bit or stung. The live in the hole they crawl out of after they eat the cicada. The ones I have live under my wooden deck. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions