Attachments

• IMG_7076  bf1.jpg
    IMG_7076 bf1.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 441

Neogeo

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2009
Austin T.X.
If I could see the other one To compare to mayhaps...But prolly not..I can't wait for the awnser..
Awsome pic!Thanx

72cheyenne

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
Mansfield, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's M6, White's 6000di/pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pics. :thumbsup: Don't you have to look real close to see mothballs? :laughing7:

OP
OP
V

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
Re: In Coming

72 cheyenne said:
Nice pics. :thumbs up: Don't you have to look real close to see mothballs? :laughing7:
these are Butterflies not moths :laughing9: the answer lies in the wings : :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
V

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
Neogeo said:
If I could see the other one To compare to mayhaps...But prolly not..I can't wait for the awnser..
Awsome pic!Thanx
Thank you for your kind comments Neogeo. The answer to telling a male from a female lies in the wings Heres the wings of one looking from the back side see if you can see what it is :)
Van

Attachments

• IMG_7130 bf bc.jpg
    IMG_7130 bf bc.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 414

72cheyenne

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
Mansfield, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VanGone said:
72 cheyenne said:
Nice pics. :thumbs up: Don't you have to look real close to see mothballs? :laughing7:
these are Butterflies not moths :laughing9: the answer lies in the wings : :icon_scratch:

I know they are butterflies VanGone :thumbsup: , I was just funning around. Maybe I was the only one that seen the humor. :tongue3: The monarchs are pretty common here in these parts of Arkansas. My wife is from California, and we happened to be out there visiting one time when all the monarchs were in Pismo Beach.

OP
OP
V

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
72cheyenne said:
VanGone said:
72 cheyenne said:

I know they are butterflies VanGone :thumbsup: , I was just funning around. Maybe I was the only one that seen the humor. :tongue3: The monarchs are pretty common here in these parts of Arkansas. My wife is from California, and we happened to be out there visiting one time when all the monarchs were in Pismo Beach.
I saw the humor and thought it was very funny,maybe I used the wrong Icon! I wanted it to show that I was laughing.Monarchs are very pretty for sure.As for how you can tell a male from a female,look at the above picture I posted of a male that I shot. On each wing there is a black dot in the wing lines. Ones with that dot on each wing are males. I learned that at a outdoor learning center that was having a seminar on Monarch and they told us that. If I would have thought of what you said I would have used it on the people that were teaching the class.
Van

OP
OP
V

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
72cheyenne said:
VanGone said:
72 cheyenne said:

The way you can tell a male from a female is the black dot in the black lines in the wings. This Monarch has the dots and is a male.
Van

72cheyenne

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
Mansfield, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VanGone said:
72cheyenne said:
VanGone said:
72 cheyenne said:

The way you can tell a male from a female is the black dot in the black lines in the wings. This Monarch has the dots and is a male.
Van

Wow thats cool, I never would have guessed that is how you tell the sexes apart. Learned something new today. Thanks for the great close up pics. :thumbsup: Have a good one, VG. :hello:

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
I lived in Pismo Beach for 15 years and every year we'd go down to the Monarch Tree every day for about 2 weeks and just watch them arrive. Just like clock work.

Desertfox

OP
OP
V

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
Re: In Coming

4-H said:
The staff are amazed! Not one of us knew that.
Here's another one that those with cameras might like knowing. In Iowa or other places where the Temperature dips down during the night. The best time to take pictures of Butterflies is in the morning when the temperature is below 58 degrees. The dew during the night gets on there wings and they need to open them to dry off and when the temps at these levels the moisture wont dry and they cant fly. Makes for good picture posing with there wings spread..
Van

OP
OP
V

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
desertfox said:
I lived in Pismo Beach for 15 years and every year we'd go down to the Monarch Tree every day for about 2 weeks and just watch them arrive. Just like clock work.

Desertfox
That would be a great sight to see Desertfox.
Van

Neogeo

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2009
Austin T.X.
Her is a good question...Why do they do this? Is it a maiting ball,or just trying to winter-over?Sorry for the crappy vid. I made it for my son.(still in Balt)

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

cracking pictures... what camera did you use :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
V

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
Neogeo said:
Her is a good question...Why do they do this? Is it a maiting ball,or just trying to winter-over?Sorry for the crappy vid. I made it for my son.(still in Balt)

Wow never seen that before,but my guess would be wintering over. Just a guess I dont have a clue.
Van

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread