Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks I wish I could take credit for them Jeff took them! :icon_sunny:

I was just kinda in shock that they were here!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
cat food / dog food in the open = coon food -- trash cans too.

OP
OP
Mental Granny

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the cat food is why they were on porch but, we live almost downtown. I jave lived in this house most of my life, I have never seen any here before I am the really curious as to what brought them in to town. So if I need to watch for more or was this a one time thing. :dontknow: :icon_sunny:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
if theres steady food --they will often return if they are in the area -- hopefully for you , they were just passing thru thus --- no problem --however if they have been "displaced" from their normal area --say due to construction , fire , flooding -ect --and are seeking a "new spot" to live easy food sources are a big draw and they adapt very quickly to city life --eating pet food and raiding garbage cans . --never corner them --they can be very very nasty if you do so --if seen in the day time avoid them --as they might be ill --(rabies )--- coons are normally night time critters to see one in the day is very "odd" indeed.

if a dog follows them into water a coon will swim around and get on the dogs head and "drown" them --never let a dog chase a coon into water --the coon will kill em if the dog goes in over his head .

big huge coons are called "boars" and are meaner than all get out.

the best way to get rid of them short of killing them is to cut off the food supply -- with a lack of food they will leave as will most animals in general.

OP
OP
Mental Granny

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the advice about coons, I know if I see them in the day shoot or call someome and I wonder what brought them in? We had a tree top tornado a block away a few days before they showed up. Did some major damage clear across town the first damamge was a block away. (north )
And down the street a block away (south) is Conoco parking (use to be) they moved out. Behind the office buildings is the tank farm so they might have got rooted out some how down there?
I did not know that a coon will go around a dog in the water though, but, no worries no dogs here and no deep water very close. The only dogs I've seen lately are the pit bulls of the druggies up the street. Thats why I said I hoped they went south instead.
We've not seen nor heard anything since so maybe all the pic taking and commin and going in and out the door mom decided this was not the spot for her youngins. I HOPE !

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
the storm might very well have displaced them by ruining their living spot -- they might be on the prowl for a new home spot . -- pit bulls are mean dogs but few dogs want to mess with a coon one on one --their normally hunted by a pack of dogs * and one on one a adult coon can badly maim or even kill a dog sometimes -- often the dog will win but be a lot worse for wear

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mmmm ,,, Coon stew !
Nuthin like it !

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A vet will not even touch one they carry so many viruses. Here were two on my back addition I am building.They were young and I trapped them with honey buns last week. They love them. We see them @ the farm in daylight with rabbies in the middle of the fields going in circles or with locked jaws. We dispatch and burn them in brush piles/ so is life. Sad but the thing to do. : (

Attachments

• 100_2127.jpg
    100_2127.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 221
OP
OP
Mental Granny

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thaose look like about the sz of the babies we have ..... they broke a flower pot last night !

OP
OP
Mental Granny

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4 am Tues. We were woke up by the sound of crying, pitiful sound, went and cked 1 of the little ones was in the trap! Got dressed and drove out the other side on the sand pit, close to the river! Then we didn't get woke up but this am when we got up I heard Jeff talkking to someone (mama) she had moved the trap all over but, was still in it, so she was taken to same place as the 1st youngin! Now 4 more little ones to go!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread