Great-Grandpas Old Farm

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Great-Grandpa's Old Farm

Took a little ride to the ridge to pick up some slab wood for some bridge repairs (built two and repaired one). I came home from vacation to get some rest!

Thought I would show you the site of Great-Grandpa's farm. Some of you may remember the story of my Great-Grandparents landing a flatboat nearby and using wood from the boat to start a homestead, this is where they first settled.

Attachments

• RES01360.JPG
    RES01360.JPG
    257.3 KB · Views: 252
  • RES01361.JPG
    RES01361.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 146
  • RES01362.JPG
    RES01362.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 135
  • RES01359.JPG
    RES01359.JPG
    287 KB · Views: 148
  • RES01366.JPG
    RES01366.JPG
    257.4 KB · Views: 134
  • RES01367.JPG
    RES01367.JPG
    238.1 KB · Views: 130
  • RES01364.JPG
    RES01364.JPG
    287.9 KB · Views: 138
OP
OP
Excavator

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Re: Great-Grandpa's Old Farm

Don't understand why my pics sometimes don't display. ???

pganjon

Nov 6, 2008
South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter 5, Ace 250

Beautiful spot Excavator :icon_thumleft: I can see why they planted roots :icon_sunny: Thanks for showing! Paul :coffee2:

OP
OP
Excavator

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter

Thanks everyone, for taking the extra time to look. I tried several times to get the pics to display, no luck, they won't even upload to my picture host.

pb- I might find out what's in the well. Those old timers laid those stones pretty well, the well at our farm has the same type and I had to climb into it to retrieve a runaway watermelon a while back, none of the stones were loose in that one.

We took a ride up there one night to look at the stars and all around the lower hills we heard a chorus of owls answering each other. When I heard the bear grunt, we got in the truck and left. Didn't tell the Mrs. why we left until we got home.... she made me promise not to try and scare her out there in the dark. ;D

I'm supposed to be getting some old pics of the farm in it's heyday, I'll post a couple here when I get them. It was quite a spread to be so far off the beaten path.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett

Hey X...

I think ...maybe.... only 6 pics at a time
and,
only 1,200 kb for the aggregate of all...

or something like that. Not sure.

Try making them smaller... I use Photo resize.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

those are great photos.. awesome since its your family too.. cant wait to see more..

OP
OP
Excavator

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter

Thanks again! I'll keep an eye on the place and see if the Fall colors are good this year.

rmptr- This is what is shown for attachments on posts: "Maximum attachment size allowed: 512 KB, per post: 12 "

So we can post up to 12 pics, but is that 512kb total or 512kb each? I re-sized to smallest available with my camera application, 640 x ..something.

What confounds me is, I never had trouble with the old camera using the same picture size, I've posted pics from the new camera successfully, although I had trouble with this post and one other. And, the pics in this post won't go into my pic host because it says they aren't .jpg, but they are. ???

OP
OP
Excavator

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter

rmptr said:
Hey X,

Seems like everything gets more complicated !

Or is it our brains getting slower? :dontknow:

Next time I'll try one test pic before doing the whole post.

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE

My sincere hope that the farm is still in the family. It is worse than a crying shame to have to sell out. EVER! We still retain the one in my wifes' family after 130 years.
It is too bad that many just see dollars when it comes to the old place. It sounds like you have the proper respect. For that, you get a huge.... BRAVO!

BW

OP
OP
Excavator

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter

Hey thanks BW.

Alas, this particular homestead now belongs to the timber company (boundary markers on the well). It was sold off way before my time, but the 1859 log cabin with it's 600 acres and oil wells, and the 45 acre farm with it's house (both posted previously), are still in the family.

I've been lobbying hard for full ownership of the 45 acres (I own 1/7th), but it's been hinted that the 600 acres is earmarked for me.

Thanks again, I do feel I have the proper respect, I just hope I can continue to express it and pass it down.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread