Abandoned houses and buildings.

OP
OP
GL

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
This is the historic Joel McClendon Cabin in Moore County, NC. Built in 1760. There was a mill on the creek that still runs trough this property. The creek is named for him. Perpetually maintained as a period residence, fully furnished and functional. Joel McLendon was among the first settlers in northern Moore County. Imagine, over a century before the Civil War and there was a family living their lives out in this tiny hand hewn cabin in the wilds of His Majesties New World. Old enough to have seen candles and soap being made in its yard. This cabin has a real floor so it was much nicer than the typical cabin from its era in this area(there are several). Native Indians still lived in villages nearby. Can you even wrap your brain around what life must have been like in the 18th century? You could easily live your whole life and never taste an orange. George and Martha Washington were still newlyweds in 1760...
Looks like someone has built a set of new steps for it, wonder how many times theyve been replaced.
0430111350b.jpg

This is the (James)Bryant House. It is on the same property as the above cabin. Built in 1820 and is also perpetually maintained on the NC Historic Registry. They are deserted 99% of the year. The Civil War is still 4 decades away and a dollar is a princely sum. Youd make your clothes, have to tighten the ropes on your bed twice a year, cut your own wood while its still summer so you dont freeze all winter. Washing your clothes in the creek is a twice weekly chore...no electricity, running water, plastic anything or grocery stores. Maine was the newest of 23 stars on our flag in 1820.
0430111351.jpg

This is all thats left of an old homestead near Harris Crossroads in NC. Local quartz stone chimney and hearth still standing most likely built in the 19th century given the area and history. Very solid and well built and might remain this way another hundred years if left unmolested. Several ruins are located on this property. Remains and evidence of more than a century of lives lived and lost for generations. The property is now a turkey farm and is closed to visitors and the curious which is why I couldnt get closer.
0430111354.jpg

admc

Nov 4, 2010
Does anyone know the history of this house? I also heard that one of the first owners of what is now Bald Head Island owned the home.

OP
OP
GL

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
This house is in the woods near here. Looks like if I had to guess Id say circa 1880-1910. Still has stuff in it from when it was abandoned in the 90s.
IMG_20131010_105402_zps7ea08b8f.jpg

Follows Camp Craig

Dec 1, 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Team Keene Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in southern Wake county NC. there are loads of homes that have collapsed onto themselves.
They all scream "detect me" but the signs say no trespassing, somehow I think folks around here mean just that.

I would love to fish their pond too.

I don't have a Yankee accent, so perhaps there is hope.
Eh, maybe not.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've traveled a lot out here in the western states and do share the same fascination of ghost towns and abandoned building sites I pass by. They sure are intriguing and seem to invite you to have a look around.

Attachments

• old site wyo.jpg
    old site wyo.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 122
  • old site s colo.jpg
    old site s colo.jpg
    902.7 KB · Views: 127
  • old site oregon.jpg
    old site oregon.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 127
  • old site montana.jpg
    old site montana.jpg