Abandoned houses and buildings.

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
I really like taking pictures of them. My job involves a lot of travel and I see these buildings and houses a lot so I will be posting them in this thread as I find them and snap them with my camera. Here is one I posted a while back and it got a good response. Located in Hamlet NC.
img4652j.jpg

Much larger picture for those who would like to see all the details of this once impressive mansion.
It really is much larger than it seems. Keep clicking on it and it will be HUGE.

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
I love those old houses too, if they could just speak, think of the stories they could tell. I'm looking forward to more pics too.

ng

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI
Man she sure would have been the home in her day, Have you got permission to hunt her grounds? I bet there be a few cool things lying around that place. Would be a cool place to get into and see if there are any loose bricks around her fireplaces as well.

Cool pic and thanks for posting.

sasnz

OP
OP
GL

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
Abandoned nursing home not far from here. Taken about 10 or 12 years ago before the paintball kids absolutely destroyed it.

Attachments

• nursinghome2.jpg
    nursinghome2.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 5,018
  • nursinghome1.jpg
    nursinghome1.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 4,076

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
I would love to hit that yard with the MD. And, yes, the old homes (houses are in the sub-divisions) are beautiful. Not like the 3 designs fit all, as the newer ones are.
Great pic.

BW

OP
OP
GL

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
Here is an old log cabin I saw near Bear Creek, NC slowly becoming one with the earth.
It appears to be a real cabin too, check out the interior chinking and how the logs are all different sizes. Unknown age but looks pretty old to me. There is a 1970s era mobile home in the backyard so I assume that's when it was abandoned. A little old lady in the yard waved at me...I wonder if she grew up in this homeplace and her family bought her a fancy new trailer home when the roof began to leak.
Another clue, it doesn't face the road but exactly due east instead parallel to the road. I take it to mean the home predates the road possibly. Roads go any direction but old homes like to face east for ventilation and lighting. Another old home with no evidence of ever being electrified. No meter box or wires or antennas but I guess that stands to reason being the interior walls are also logs with mud cement chinking. Just a great place to make a picture. I'll be going back one day for better shots.
The thumbnail is another HUGE version for you to check out, just keep clicking it till it's gigantic.
img4718w.jpg

OP
OP
GL

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
This old farmhouse is near Brightsville, SC. It appears to be 1880-1910 or so. I think someone started to fix it up and just quit, maybe it was too far gone to repair but they don't have the heart to tear it down. Notice the side is starting to lean. The yard is well maintained but the home is derelict. Shame too, it's a nice large place with a couple of buildings in back. I imagine it was quite a place in it's day. Those days are long gone unfortunately. In the larger photo you can see the interesting window glass treatment and the third window on the side that was removed and filled in at some point. Makes me wonder why. The porch posts are certainly not the originals, they would have been better than 4x4s and I suspect they might be in the lumber on the porch. I wonder how many still nights were spend sitting on that porch talking with family and friends after a long day. This house was very nice.
img4724l.jpg

OP
OP
GL

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
This is a simple block house on the edge of a large cotton field in South Carolina. It had electricity at one time and the cinder brick construction makes me think mid 20th century. No roof makes me think the tin was removed to reuse somewhere else which is common. I try to imagine the simple existence the occupants must have led. Work, eat, sleep. The middle picture is the Google street view of this place in happier times, yet still abandoned.
Bottom is the huge picture link.
img4725u.jpg

farmhandhouse1sc.jpg

OP
OP
GL

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
Another farmhand homestead this time in Ellerbe, NC. Looks 19th century but could be early 20th. Again, the level of simplicity in this homes design makes me wonder if people could still live this way. Two rooms, no insulation or electricity...
It sits just off the road inside a hay field fenceline.
I took two pictures. Apparently "Tim" was there at some point.

img4729i.jpg

img4728p.jpg

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI
cool pics GL, keep them coming, I love seeing old places like these.

Sasnz

OP
OP
GL

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
This once beautiful home is in the middle of Tatum, SC right across from some railroad related buildings that also appear derelict. It's about 2 blocks from the Tatum Gin Co. building as you leave town. I would guess maybe 1870-1900. In it's day it was right in the center of a lot of business and people were working all around the property at the rail station and stores that lined the street in downtown. Not the largest home in Tatum but still respectable and attractive. I can see this being the house that someone built to rebuild the one Shermans men destroyed. It's hard to find many homeplaces that predate the Great Unpleasantness. I live right in the middle of Shermans path of destruction.
Check out the scroll work and little details that make this place one of a kind. I like the bay window, I can easily imagine a little girl sewing her sampler in it. This one looks restorable.

img4735.jpg

img4736c.jpg

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Those are some nice pics, I simply adore the 1st home.

:wink: RR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions