Confederate graves.

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
I took some pictures of a few CS grave markers today while I was in South Carolina.

Probably a replacement for damaged markers.
Funded by an actual daughter of the Confederacy sometime before 1950 I would imagine considering her father died in combat in 1862.
img4744m.jpg

Visible from the street, the star bars are still tinted blue. He made it to 1911.
img4737f.jpg

Tom Carlisle was a tough guy to be twice wounded in the war and still make it to '33.
img4743i.jpg

Here is an CSA iron cross marker.
It is bolted to a marble anchor with three initials on top and nothing more.
img4742e.jpg

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Those iron crosses have been targeted by thieves in a lot of places. Walking around the cemetery beside our farm, I came across two Confederate graves with their original headstones, neither have the cross. Have many family members there, been going to the cemetery since the 60s and never noticed the soldier's graves before. There's not all that many graves there so I don't know how I could have missed them. Used to mow it when I was a kid.

OP
OP
GL

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
These guys were fighting for something they felt was worth dying for so sneaking off with the only proof of their sacrifice seems a little sh*tty to me. Folks can like their side or not like it, but they were men with families and they all had personalities just like you or me. I can see no reason or excuse for damaging or stealing some persons stone or cross.

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Thanks for sharing the CW markers. I am always interested in civil War stuff, as My Mother's
father fought in it. He enlisted in Port Huron, Mich by lying about his age because he was
about 2 years too young. I have some of his history from the computer records showing the
battles he was in and when he left. He was wounded twice. Unfortunately I never had the
opportunity to meet him as he was gone long before I came on the scene. He would have been
an interesting person to know and would have had some great stories to tell.

I enjoyed youe pics,

Ray

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Thanks for this post GL. I have always loved old cemetarys. I still look for the ones that are forgotten. I found one a while back way back in the woods and while walking through it I found my personal hero. I think the pic speaks for itself.

Attachments

• obediah.JPG
    obediah.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 313
  • obediah.JPG
    obediah.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 305
OP
OP
GL

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
105 years old in the 19th century and a war veteran on top of it.
Very impressive fellow.Think of all that guy must've seen and known.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics, GL. Some of those guys didn't believe the cause they were fighting for was worth dying for. One of my ancestors was in his 60's and they came up and said, you're goin. The south was desparate for men at the time, but there was some feeling among some folks that it was a rich man's war. No one in my family ever mentioned one word about involvement in the war between the states. Talkin to them, it just never happened. Any info I got, I found on the internet in old military records and what have you.

OP
OP
GL

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
I can remember peeking into a steamer trunk here in this house when I was very young and going through it. There was a battle flag, yellowed letters tied with twine and very old clothes in it which of course didn't interest me. There was a gray soldiers uniform hanging in the closet that I got whooped for trying on. My great aunt(who was mean as a snake) said it was her grandfathers and she'd skin me alive if I tore it up. I can remember a musket in the corner and she kept a cap and ball revolver on her dresser that I presume was his also. She died in 1985 around 91 years old. She was UDC and when she died I believe the relics and uniform were donated which is sad because I would have loved to own that part of my heritage.
The Great Unpleasantness has and hopefully will always remain a big deal and an important part of my families history. My children both already know that their ancestors fought and died for their states and country in the war. A few in Tennessee and a few here in NC on the womens side. I have a photograph of my great grandfather and his father taken a short time after the conflict and it's framed in the sitting room. He's the man who build the house I live in and he lived until 1959 and died in his 90s so it was still in his memory and passed along to his 11 children who passed it on and I have continued the tradition with my own children.
My grandmother actually made mention of my wife being a Yankee when we married and said it was okay because she could tell she was "one of the good ones".

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were a couple of books written by a family member during the war and of course are no longer in print and one of his family members has the gun he ( the author ) carried. I love the fact that it is staying with the family.
And looking at old grave yards is great, it is very sad to but reading the inscriptions just lets you know how our ancestors felt. They are so different than what you see now.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those inscriptions are great, GL, and cool story. Thanks for posting!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you GL
I enjoy the stories. My dads family fought for the North my Moms the south. I have many diarys buttons and photos. Most interesting was my great great Uncle W.A Fuller who was the engineer of the train the General that was stolen. I love reading some of the letters they have confederate states of america stamped on top. Some are very sad but you get a feel for the times. They might make a good post sometime. Many graves in this area go unmarked or just a stack of stones. Some say 20 confederate soldiers" unknown" in a single burial.
Thanks for sharing the pictures they are of great interest.
Regards
TnMountains

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread