Spawning salmon

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandson and I were on our way to one of our favorite fishing holes but we stopped by a creek on the way. We found 3 salmon spawning there. A large hen was being pursued by two males. The hen would swim in large circles while the males followed bumping into each other for breeding rights. Got to fill my grandson in on the life cycle of salmon and he was pretty impressed; he thinks "salmon are neat!".

Attachments

• spawning.jpg
    spawning.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 283

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The females are called hens? I learn something new every day!

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, females are hens and the males are bucks. Go figure. The females have a chicken name and the males have a deer name.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool pics, packerbacker. Typical redneck I am, I'm wonderin how can I hook them dudes? Do they have a snagging season there?

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry RGINN, no snagging in Calif.. You need to go to Alaska to legally snag salmon. As a matter of fact, you can't even legally fish for salmon this year in the Sacramento River and they have closed it off on the coast. You can still fish for them in the Trinty River but only bag one.
I've hooked salmon on roe (cured cluster of salmon eggs), on glo bugs (a replica of a single salmon egg made from yarn) and on flatfish or kwikfish lures with a sardine wrapper. (sardine wrapper is simply a fillet off a large sardine tied tightly to the bottom of a Flatfish or Kwikfish lure). A buddy of mine swears by the battery-operated blinking flatfish with a sardine wrapper early morning or early evening.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker said:
Yep, females are hens and the males are bucks. Go figure. The females have a chicken name and the males have a deer name.
Cock fish and Hen fish here in the UK :read2:

SS

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep another of the things I'mm miss about moving from Wa state to Az .....hey juju looks like we aint salmon fishin again this year are we bro .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread